Formula?

I asked a question earlier about my DD having diarrhea and how it is causing some bad diaper rash. Im going to put her on the BRAT diet to see if the diarrhea goes away. So what do I do about formula? She is 11 months and 2 weeks so I was just going to finish the can I had anyway and switch her to cows milk. So should I not giver her milk or anything while she is having the diarrhea?

Lauren24

Asked by Lauren24 at 5:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• No milk or formula. It will just make her diarreah worse. Give her pedialyte, watered down Gatorade or jello water. Stay away from juice too. After her tummy is better, she should be fine going right to cow's milk. As always, if you have questions when your child is sick or not, call the doctor, that is what they are there for.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yes she will still need some milk, give her cows milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Milk is not good for her stomach right now . Thats what the dr told me anyway.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 5:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• give her pedilight (sp)
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Cow's milk is the wrong answer, especially if she hasn't been having cow's milk regularly, that would only make the matter worse since cow's milk can make thier tummy's upset in the beginning.

I would try to alternate between formula and water. But would not get rid of the formula, she needs the nutrients as much as the liquid.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Experts recommend not give infants milk until she/he is at least a year old
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 6:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• NO MILK! If she has diarreah, milk will only make it worse, especially if shes not ready for cows milk. Many children are over a year old before their tummies can tolerate cows milk. Sometimes its 13 mos, sometimes its 16 mos. It just depends. Formula is okay but use it in moderation. If you do the BRAT diet, she does need fluids, but it wont hurt her to stop formula for 24-48 hours. Its not a big deal. You want to clear the diarreah so go with the bland diet and stop formula. If that helps, then gradually add the formula back in with the brat diet and then go back to normal foods. Once shes good, THEN give her a week or two of good solid stools before you start milk. Then introduce it slowly. If you see loose stools again, stop the milk and go back to formula. Try again in a few weeks. Its a trial and error thing, but dont bother with the milk while her tummy is upset. Good luck!!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Okay, if she has diarreah, no milk. But I am no sure about the formula. I would check with your doctor. My thought, which is not based on any medical fact, just my thought, is that formula is constipating, and probably wouldn't cause diarreah. Thats just what I'd think. But I would check with a doctor on it.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Don't give her cows milk. I don't know if you're giving her juice right now, but if you are STOP! Too much juice causes diarreah. What kind of formula are you using??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Cow's milk is very hard on the tummy. When they are having tummy problems, milk should be the last thing re-introduced to the system. Are you doing pedialyte? My pedi said not to go back to full strenght formula after pedialyte. I can't remember exactly how much you should do, so it might be worth calling your pedi to be sure about htat one. A few days without formula isn't a bad thing. You're chlid will lose a little bit fo weight, but will catch up pretty fast once feeling better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2009