The forgotten holiday

what happened to holloween? i mean i was reading a post about holloween and it reminded me of trick-or-treating when i was younger. it used to be so fun! all the houses on my block would hand out treats, and decorate. i mean i understand times are hard, and money is tight lately. but still how hard is it to run to the dollar store and buy a few bags of assorted candy, and hand out treats to kids? i mean i have been excited and worried about my duaghters first holloween because i am afraid we're gonna get her all excited and dressed up just to go to a few houses and then go home.

does anyone else know what i mean?

Wife_Mommy_18

Asked by Wife_Mommy_18 at 5:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Holidays

• i know what you mean and that's how my son's first birthday was. NOBODY had candy we knowcked on doors and ppl answered with "wtf, can i help you?!?!" it was horrible so everytime we knocked on a door WE put the candy in his bag lol....he loved it at the end of the day he had a whole bag of candy to gnaw on
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:52 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I know, the problem in my neighborhood is that it is filled with mean old cronies who wont answer their door. I usually drive to a neighborhood where my sister lives that has alot of kids and take her trick or treating there.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 5:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• our neighborhood is a BIG time halloween neighborhood! half the houses are grandparents and the other half are young families. there's a big party at the community centre too

I think we had 250kids last year. it was also busy because it was above freezing lol - this was the first year I ever remember not having to dress with a snowsuit or hats mittens on under a costume. lol
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• first halloween* lol
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I do know what you mean but on the other hand I do know that we won't be handing any candy out this year because we simply cannot afford it. I know it's a dollar or two but right now EVERY penny is saved and turned into the bank to pay bills-literally every penny. We have taken our childrens piggy banks and turned them in-all loose change etc....It's that bad at my house. I am going to try to make some treats for the neighborhood kids but not going to get excessive-MAYBE a pan of cookies. There are two and three families living in campers in the back yards of relatives in my neighborhood-I understand it's for the kids, but, there is also many places people can take their kids for trick or treating-the mall for example has a Trick or Treat Street and it's free so that is where we will be going.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• hey just wanted to say its spelled halloween. also one of my fav holidays. we pass out candy and we trick or treat. i miss the good old days when that was common pratice.
    trelimon

Answer by trelimon at 6:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• If the light isn't on, DON"T go there.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• we are bigtime halloween people. so is my sister like you wouldn't believe. find a neighborhood early to trick or treat at and go there. some neighborhoods go all out. we are country people, so finding a neighborhood is a must or we don't get to go at all.
    it's ok if some families don't participate, most of my christian and jehovah friends don't participate and we hold no judgement.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:46 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• In our small town of 1300 we have only had a few yrs that there has been low lights and treats..
    My dh has counted on an average of 400 children of all ages coming to our home...
    Our 2 hr T & T time doesn't seem to be enough some yrs...lol...
    We have Sooooooooo much fun and some of the stores create haunted houses within their stores... one for young children and older/adults.... houses are completely decorated ....

And we usually buy about 100 lbs of candy to pass out...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I love halloween unfourtunatly this world has gotten much worse so most parents take there kids to the mall. yuck!!!!!I took my son last year and was really disappointed there weren't many houses passing out candy and then people left there lights on but didnt have candy.idk i personally hope halloween makes a come back this year
    hedtrippe

Answer by hedtrippe at 12:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2009