Breastfeeding Help

Which is the best way to breastfeed your newborn. Wake them every 2-3 hrs or let them eat on demand. Also, anyone have problems getting their baby to latch on? My baby fights to go on the breast and screams before finally accepting the breast.

lala9

Asked by lala9 at 6:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds normal, just keep trying. And I'd say feed on demand.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My son had the same problem. Try feeding them on demand. I know it's exhausting, but it will boost up your milk supply, making breastfeeding a little easier.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 6:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• babies that age to several months usually are to be fed on demand. try rubbing your babies face on your breast and nipple before trying to latch baby on. keeping that up should direct him to rooting for you. Make sure that baby burps after feeding to not be overfed between feedings and you can gently bicycle baby's legs to help expell gas from baby's bottom too. But really gently if that's even a problelm.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I had to wake my son up every two hours for the first few months but he was premature. After the first fews months he did it on demand. As for latch problems we had a lot. Because he was small my breasts were too big and I just didnt know how to properly latch him. Best advice is see a lactation consultant to help you out. Make sure you feed equal amount on both breasts! Uhm...them being fussy right before they latch is normal they just want their food :) and they can smell it....try rubbing baby's check while holding baby close to your boobie and the baby should turn for it helping you get it's attention. Good luck!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You let them feed on demand. I'm concerned about what you say about the latch, though. That isn't normal. Latch is a tricky thing, and it isn't something that comes automatically to every mom and baby. If you have a proper latch, it takes no effort to get the baby on. The fighting doesn't sound right either. It could be that he experiences frustration at the breast because you have a slow let-down, or because his latch is preventing him from getting what he needs, but it shouldn't happen like that. I would see a lactation consultant to evaluate your latch.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• CONTACT A LACTATION CONSULTANT. IS WHAT THEY DO HELP BF MOMS. I NEVER GOT ANY OF MY KIDS TO LATCH ON. I PUMP FOR MY DD ALMOST 3 MTS AND HAVE BEEN PUMPING FOR DS ALMOST 6 MTS. FEED ON DEMAND. CONTACT LA LECHE LEAGUE TOO.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• feed on demand. is my best advice. good luck:)
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 7:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• On demand, but in the first few weeks, if MY baby was sleeping 5 or more hrs, and not nursing during that time, I'd probably wake them after 5 hrs to nurse. But that's just me. And I'd also recommend meeting with LLL to make sure latch is ok.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2009