WITHOUT DRUGS?

Who on here went through child birth and labor without drugs? Is it what you chose? Do you regret your decision? Would you go through it again and ask for the drugs instead?

Help I have to make a decision.

heathertilton08

Asked by heathertilton08 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Two births, both induced, both kids 7+ pounds-wouldn't do it any other way.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 6:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Oh and totally my choice.
    jenree33

• you can plan what you want but once you're actually in hardcore labor it's totally different. only the actuall experience will guide you through to follow up on your hopes of no drugs no section. I'd try a midwife physician practice, that's your best chance for natural. I had a bad labor and section then two more sections. Most important to me from conception of first to delivery of third was that each baby and I would be alright. Epidural as pain med each time and induction once did not keep me from bonding with my babies cuz I wanted babies more than i felt my worthiness as a woman and mom had to be based on delivery method.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I did with my second because I didn't make it to the hospital fast enough, I was 9, almost 10 cm dilated when I got there. (but it was still a 12 hour labor, it was just confusing and I didn't want to go in too early and be sent home) So anyway, while I never would have chosen it myself, it ended up being better in the end and now I always want to go all natural if I can make it. The difference to me is how I felt afterwards. I felt so good after my daughter was born, after my son was born with an epidural I felt for days like I had been hit by a truck.
    However, I also wouldn't change my first birth either, it was a long labor, 28 or so hours, I was exhausted and didn't know what to expect.
    So I would suggest planning to go natural if you think you can handle it, but leave yourself the option of drugs if you need them.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 6:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My son was drug free. Wasn't my choice exactly, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I loved being able to get a bath right after the birth and not having to wait until I could feel my legs again. lol! =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i chose no drugs for my first and for my second. pregnant again and im doing it natural as well. my ob/gyn was so excited to meet me because she said she doesnt get to do many natural births any more. kept saying how fun and exciting this was going to be! my choice was made by me not liking the possible side effects of drugs on me not to mention what the baby would be getting. plus i wanted to walk to the bathroom after i had them. the thought of a tube up my urethra seems more painful than any contractions. also contractions are the most intense part. make it through that and you are golden. pushing is like taking a glorious poop. you are so ready and you want to push. :) goodluck in whatever choice you make. i checked out lots of books from the local library and researched online.
    trelimon

Answer by trelimon at 6:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• First child, no drugs. I waited to long. Second child, drugs. I WILL get the drugs for #3 as well.........
    CrazedMomof2

Answer by CrazedMomof2 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• trelimon- I love the glorious poop comment! LOL!!

nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I had my first son without any drugs and was induced. I was in labor for 2 hours and pushed for 1. I'm 34 weeks with my second son and I'm going to do it again (not the inducing part) but the no drug part!
    GinaPetty

Answer by GinaPetty at 6:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Three babies, no drugs. All my choice (and really had to fight for it too, they kept pushing for an epidural on the first one). I wouldn't do it any other way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009