How long after having your membranes stripped do you go into labor

I had my membranes stripped at my appointment today and was bleeding after and crampy is that a sign ill go into labor soon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Why don't you just let nature take its course. Women are so impatient these days they'll do anything! Who knows when you'll go into labor??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• shit-Anon, you might be one of those woman that have it easy going- I still work full time, and Have been laboring for 2 days now- I would give ANYTHING in the WHOLE world for this kid to come out!
    Go ahead and call me inpatient all you want, I just want to fucking sleep and eat and shit with out being in fucking pain!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Hey, I'm pregnant to and in total discomfort! I run around with a 2 year old also and I have SPD! So, suck it up!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• laughingFight nice children, your babies are already acting older than you are. (and no, I didn't mean that to be a catty comment).

Truth is, that it doesn't always work. I was 3 cm dialated, 80% effaced and at a -1 station and having contractions on and off when they decided to do the same for me. My contractions actually stopped and my daughter wasn't born for another week.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My doc stripped my membranes without even asking me first. I was 11 days overdue already, so she just went ahead and did it. I went into labor about 2 hrs later.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 7:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i had my membranes stripped and was in HEAVY labor less than 6 hours later. I had been having regular "light" contractions for 1.5 days. She stripped my membranes around noon, I was at the hospital 8cm at 9pm that night! :) GOOD LUCK!
    SaraNRiley

Answer by SaraNRiley at 7:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i went into labor 3.5 weeks later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• With my second, I had my membranes stripped on my due date and went into labor the next morning. I had already been walking around at 3cm for a few weeks though. I'm glad that she was ready to go, because she was a 10 pounder!

I think it CAN work if your body is already prepped for going into labor, but if your body isn't ready, it isn't going to work.
    (With my 1st, I went to the end of 42 weeks before I went into labor on my own!)
    MarigoldsMama

Answer by MarigoldsMama at 11:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• There isn't any documented evidence that stripping membrances causes labor to happen in a certain amount of time. The theory is that stripping membranes will cause the body to release the hormones responsible for labor. Unfortunately - if your body isn't already geared up for that to happen - it's not necessarily going to work. One of the risks you run with stripping membranes is that it could break your water before your body is primed for labor. Water breaking early - and then going in to the hospital to "wait things out" puts you at risk for developing an infection. All those cervical checks when your water is broken increase your risk. If it doesn't "work" for you - I wouldn't have it done again. Your body WILL go into labor when your baby is ready.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 1:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My doctor did mine without asking and man was I pissed. And it hurt like hell. Needless to say (I hadnt started any kind of labor at all) I was in labor the next day. My menbranes were strpped Wednesday morning, I went into labor thurday night, went to the hospital friday morning and she was born friday afternoon.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2009