When did you start giving your baby cereal?

I've heard from a lot of people that giving baby cereal mixed with formula/breast milk helps them sleep longer through the night. How old should they be before you start doing this? And how much did you give them? idk how or when to start doing this.

landons.mama

Asked by landons.mama at 6:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It DOES NOT make them sleep. Tried solids to make my son sleep...he woke MORE. They sleep longer when THEY are ready to do so.

In any event, no solids before four months for a formula baby, six months for brastfed. Mine had solids at six months..."slept through" at two years.

Sleep is one of those things we sign away upon giving birth! **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 7:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• 5 to 6 months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i agree with the first poster. my baby was breastfed and i gave her cereal at 6 months of age.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 7:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We started solids at six months.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I also agree with the first poster. My 3 boys did not get cereal until around 5 or 6 months. They also did not sleep through the night until about age 2. My 3rd son is only 15mo. and still does not sleep through the night, but at least i don't have to get up and feed him, he is just fussing so he goes back to sleep on his own.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 7:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We started at about 2.5 to 3 months. Our son had a huge appetite and was consuming so much formula that he was getting sick from it. So we did the cereal to space out his feedings, NOT so he would sleep longer at night. It worked wonders for us. And we put it in his bottle. I know it is not recommended, but we used a larger nipple hole so he could suck it out. And we didn't make it super thick, but thin enough that it could come out.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• heres info for you
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-sleep.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We started putting cereal in her bottle at 8 weeks and since then she started sleeping thru the night. Our doctor suggested we do it starting then. Then solids starting at 4 months stage 1 as per her doc. He's a younger doc and things have changed. And she is doing GREAT!
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i started giving my lil one oatmeal in his formula at 3 weeks. and he's doing great with it. it fills him up more and he sleeps better.
    huntersmommy12

Answer by huntersmommy12 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2009