What do you think about those child leashes?

I saw a video on Nancy Grace of this mom dragging her 3 yo through the store (on the floor) on a leash. Later stating that she was sick and couldn't pick him up and that he was enjoying it. I would never buy one of those and I feel like leashes should be for animals, not kids, just my opinion. How do you feel about it?

tabc531

Asked by tabc531 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• they arent leashes they are 'harnesses'

i think if it works for some families then thats fine and if it doesnt then thats fine too
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I think they can be very useful for safety purposes, especially in overcrowded places like airports, carnivals and busy parking lots.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I think they're fine. I used my double stroller to keep my younger kids (17 months apart) where I could know they were safe- IMO the harnesses are just a different method, but same idea- keeping kids safe.

I haven't seen the dragging video. I'm sure most harness users are not dragging their kids around by them though.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 7:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I had a leash for my daughter but I only used it at the airport. I am a disabled mother and cannot pick my child up, but under no circumstances would I ever EVER drag my child across a nasty floor! Thats disgusting and unsanitary! She was able to keep her crayons, some paper and her snack in there and I was able to keep a hand on her while checking in at the airport. I never used it in a store or any other place, just the airports.
    TigerBaby69

Answer by TigerBaby69 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• They arent leashes, they are harnesses and if a parent genuinely needs one for a child that can and will run, then go for it. Having more than one or two children can be very hard to deal with if they are young. Its very important to TEACH your child to stay close by, but while youre in the teaching mode, theres nothing wrong with having a tool. Thats all it is...a TOOL for teaching. I think that mothers who make rash judgments about others who use one, only have one child and generally dont know what they are talking about. I think we, as mothers, need to let others do what they want and also feel this post is going to start some major trouble.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I think that if you have to put your child on a leash to keep track of them in public, then you aren't ready to take them in public at all.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 7:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Are you aware of how much this has been 'debated' on here, already. I really think the ONLY argument against them that holds water is that someone could cut the strap without you feeling it under certain circumstances. As for leashes being for animals, a toddler happily walking alongside its mom without having his little arm jacked straight up in the air and learning to keep his hands to himself is learning self control. A stroller enforces it, rather than teaching it. Of course, strollers are better in some situations but some kids are too claustrophobic and antsy to sit still in them and I have seen kids try to climb out and get hung up in the strap.
    Now, if a mom is abusing the harness like the picture you saw on Nancy Grace, then she is off the table as an example. I have never seen that done. Any method you can name can be abused, so that's not a good case to argue against these mom's-extra-hands.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 7:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I think that to many people are to up tight about to many things. Where I live the major mode of transportation is your feet. You have to walk to the market to pick up a few things. the streets are small and everything is close. when my eldest was 7 and my middle two were four and two the youngest wore harnesses. When my last child was born the youngest daughter wore a harness while I pushed the pram. It was a safety measure. My children listen but in a bustling town you never know who will come up and nip off with one of you kids. I was not willing to take that risk. They each wore one until I could trust them fully to stick with me and to kick and scream if someone tried to take them away. At least they can move about in a harness. In a pram they are strapped in and not able to stretch their legs and get good exercise.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 7:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I never ever drag my son on his. i hate how some people base one idiotic mother who drags her kid with it & thinks we all do
    I rarely use a harness on my son but we have. Ever been to O'Hare airport? :) busy as all get out. we used it there. he listens well but he's also quick & it wasn't worth if you ask me. :)
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I don't think it is a leash. I have one of those monkey backpack ones. I use it only when we are at the zoo or something and my 18 month old DD doesn't feel like riding in the stroller and she wants to walk. I usually put her sippy cup in the pack. It keeps her safe and at a distance I feel safe especially if she is not wanting to hold mommy or daddy's hand. I would never drag her across a floor or anything no matter how sick I was. I agree with the first lady that posted. I think they work for some families and other they don't that is there prerogative.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 7:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2009