Question about different languages

Ok, I work for a national retailer, and today had a customer come through my check out line that posed something I never thought of. He and his wife were Hispanic, I'm not. He spoke Spanish to me,and when I told him I didn't understand, he got huffy and said that if he cared enough to learn MY language, I should his! Well, excuse me, but HE is the one who chose to come to America! Now, if we all choose to go live in Mexico, ok, I'll learn Spanish, till then, if they don't want to talk English, let em go to a Hispanic checker! Thoughts? Who do you think was too sensitive. I discussed it with several co-workers (of all nationalities),and they agree that if you choose to live in a country other than your own, you should learn the language,but there's nothing written in stone that that country has to learn your language,just to accomodate you. He didn't seem to mind spending that money with English written on it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No one's going to believe I'M saying this...but you're dead right. No argument. Period.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• totally agree
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• OMG, I can't believe that happened! lol, I always get mad at people who get frustrated at other who are trying to speak english but that are having a hard time. Never that though
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Agree 100%, it's getting ridiculous anymore.
    Heather2001

Answer by Heather2001 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• That's ridiculous. He shouldn't be calling English "YOUR" language if HE lives here. I have no problems with people using their own language amongst themselves (all of my in-laws do) but it's completely unrealistic to expect the nationals of a country HE immigrated to to cater to him in such a way. Why on earth should you be expected to learn a language spoken in a country you don't live in? That guy is in for some major disappointments if he thinks everyone in America will learn to speak Spanish for his sake!
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I agree with you. Sounds like he needs to climb on down from his high horse.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 7:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• absolutely! I fully believe that the USA should establish English as the official language. Unfortunately we have a president that will probably do the opposite and make us all learn Spanish.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 7:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Wow. That was nervy! I'm one of those people who believe that Americans should learn other languages, however, I 100% think people living in America should learn English. It's only prudent. If I move to another country, I will learn their language and not expect them to learn mine.

He was wrong.
    LolaCherryCola

Answer by LolaCherryCola at 8:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Agreed. When I lived Portugal, I learned Portuguese. It wasn't easy, but I never expected anyone to speak English to me.

I was in their turf after all, they weren't in mine.

...and yeah an American learning a second language is great, but you shouldn't feel confined to just Spanish as an option for something to study. There are lots of great languages out there to learn.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Sorry he was rude. It's not your fault you don't speak Spanish. There are so many languages in the world that it's impossible to learn them all! I don't think that you should be 'mandated' to learn Spanish. However, I do think that if you live in an area where there are a lot of Spanish speakers it might not be a bad idea to pick up a bit. I'm Canadian and although French (the second official language) is not widely spoken here, I do speak French and my kids are going to a French immersion public school. My reasoning is that it's never bad to learn a second language, and if they choose to live in some parts of the country or if they hope to hold a gov't job they will need to know the second language.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2009