my son is 13 months old, is he too young to potty train?

chabela72

Asked by chabela72 at 7:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 13 months. I have the little potty set up in the bathroom because he likes to sit on it while I go and thinks he is really cool.....lol. I havent pushed anything but have set him on it before when it appears that he is having trouble or straining to poop. (I think it would be easier to push out a poop on a potty than standing up.) Both times I sat on the floor and he leaned on me while he pushed out a poop!!!
    I havent even tried to have him pee on it.
    I think it is not too young to start getting him comfortable with the potty (set it up and let him explore it, set him on it until he objects but then take him off right away.) but it is probably too young to really try to potty train unless he wants to himself.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:52 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Yes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You can introduce him to it, but I'm not sure he will be ready until he is older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Heck no! He'll let you know that he is ready. He'll be curious about the toilet and if hes become a streaker and you can't keep the diaper on him, he may be ready. Have a little potty on the floor and let him sit on it. We didn't keep the potty in the bathroom at first. it went from room to room so that when he had to go (cause there will be very little warning in the beginning) we could tell him to sit on the potty. BMs are usually easier to see coming. Every kid is different so be patient and don't worry if your kid isn't ready yet.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 7:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I read some where that it's not a good idea to potty train before 18 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• yeah way to young. besiedes at that age they dont have bladder control. you cant potty train just cuz you want them out of diapers. my dd was ready by 18mts but some kids arent ready till they are almost 2 or even 3.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• LOL if your son is ready, don't force him to wait. Society loves to stick our children in a mold - but of he's ready - work with him.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• most kids sphincters (the part that lets them hold the pee in) aren't developed enough to hold it until about 18 months.

There are some infant training methods, but those require you knowing when your baby needs to go...I have no idea how you do that.

For now, you can "play" at it, and get him used to the idea though.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Damn lady, he's still a baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2009