Someone please explain the whole health care reform propsal to me in idiot's terms...

My mom is convinced she is going to be left to die if it passes. i have tried to read about it and just don't totally get it. It said stuff about lines at hospitals? not covering all meds? First come first serve clinics? And a death panel? I dunno how much of it is real or crap or blown out of proportion. Please help me so I can talk to my mother.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 7:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This is a really good article that debunks some of the myths that have been put out there.
    http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2009/08/06/healthcare/

What makes me upset is, I wish right-wing Republicans like Sarah Palin would stop saying there are going to be "death squads" because that's just a scary lie. And the really bad part about scary lies are that they prevent people from discussing things that ARE really bad about the plan. I am a true blue Democrat, but I am very worried about the plan. Even though I think a bill will be signed, I think it will fail.

Our healthcare in this county is too expensive, and only part of that is because of the uninsured. Part of it is also because of the liability insurance doctors are forced to have for when they get sued and people get $10 million for a minor mixup. In my opinion, healthcare will be a mess until then.
    ThaliaS

Answer by ThaliaS at 8:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I wouldnt ask that q here because u will only hear people opinions and not facts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Well, were do you suggest I ask it? the news paper is no help and what I can find is no good either. Someone must know the facts...Or at least where they are.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• http://energycommerce.house.gov/Press_111/20090714/hr3200_summary.pdf

If u have specific questions u could ask them here but I doubt n e 1 would be honest and not influence u with their opinion
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• P.S I didnt mean to offend u I just wanted to give u some warning cause some people can be pretty brutal, and harsh.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Guaranteed coverage and insurance market reforms. Insurance companies will no longer be able to engage in discriminatory practices that enable them to refuse to sell or renew policies today due to an individual’s health status. In addition, they can no longer exclude coverage of treatments for pre‐existing health conditions. The bill also protects consumers by prohibiting lifetime and annual limits on benefits. It also limits the ability of insurance companies to charge higher rates due to health status, gender, or other factors. Under the proposal, premiums can vary based only on age (no more than 2:1), geography and family size.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• The plan is getting revised daily. I truly doubt they will be killing off your mom. :-) Much of what is written so far is difficult to understand and open to interpretation. I don't have the link to the actual bill, but I'll look for it. Reading it will probably not answer your questions, though, because it is rather vague and written in legalize. It left me with more questions than answers.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• OOPs, there's the link above my post!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• The link to the summary of the bill is easier to understand.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 7:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Much of what is being said is speculation. The bill is very broad and at times not at all specific. You could read the bill, but it's written in a long, legal manner that's not really reader friendly unless you spend lots of time reading bills or legal documents.

Everyone's got an opinion on this thing, so you're not likely to get a straight answer here or from a news source.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009