my baby is constipated

i do not know what to do my 3 week old is constipated he has the hard pebble deal going on and i know he is hurting i have been trying to massage him but its not working my poor baby does anybody have suggestions

whatitbebb

Asked by whatitbebb at 7:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you breast ofr formula feeding? What kind of formula is it if thats what you are giving?
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 7:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• take his temp. rub his tummy don't really press just keep rubbing it a bit. lay him on his back and bicycle his legs.
    is he formula fed? if so i can give advice there but not on BF, if you switched from a liquid to powder switch back to liquid both my kids had to have liquid til they were about 1 1/2 months the powder got the constipated. if you've switched formulas, switch back to the original one (as long as it wasn't a medical reason obviously :) ) and around 2-3 months you can try again, this happened w/my daughter as well. hope that helps
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Is he breastfeeding or formula feeding? If BF, you need to drink lots of water in order to keep him hydrated. If FF, make sure you're mixing it right. The first time I used formula, I didn't read the can correctly, and I put in twice as much powder as I should have for several days before I realized what I was doing.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• What's his diet? BM or formula? If formula, you might switch to one with less iron, or try to nurse, or pump, as breast milk can have a laxative effect. How often is he going? Is it always pellet like? Dry? How hard? Sorry to ask so many questions.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i am using similac soy powder formula and he is still having some problems i have been making the bottle right this is my 3rd baby its just that i have never had this problem before i have been hearing that i should water down the formula a little bit but i dont think that sounds right but anyways thank you for taking the time to read my question
    whatitbebb

Answer by whatitbebb at 10:24 AM on Aug. 18, 2009