How early do you buy gifts for a baby shower? How much do you spend?

I am going to a baby shower Saturday and have been waiting to get her things because I want to see what everyone else gets knowing that I am one of 3 girls going to the shower who has a kid. Most people I know that dont have kids buy the cute stuff that they truly will never need, like the look at dont touch toys and what not. I wanted to wait so I knew what practical stuff she would still need . I was thinking of getting her the bassinet sheets, and the bottles, and the burp clothes she registered for. We have already got her the fleece blanket she registered for because there was one left in the store and her baby is due in November. We had the one we bought her but in blue for our son (she is having a girl) and loved it especially since we live in Colorado. Were going tomorrow to get the stuff so I looked at her registry and she litterally has NOTHING from the registry

mommyin07n08

Asked by mommyin07n08 at 7:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Shopping

• Yikes! Buy her what you think she needs first. I usually spend about $50-60 on gifts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I spend about 30 to 40 dollars! The last time I went to a shower a few months ago and went the day of and there was NOTHING left on her registery!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 8:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Diapers and wipes are always practical and much needed... I get size 2, so they're a little bigger...
    Burp clothes are great, as is powder, clothes, sheets, blankets.... you should talk to her. I always ask my friends if there's anything they need... A highchair, a baby bath tub, toys....
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 8:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It depends on who it is. I hate to sound snotty but I always went out of my way for my friends when it came to bridal and baby showers. When a friend tells you she is pregnant or getting married you can bet that there is going to be a shower eventually, I would use that time to pick up small things every couple weeks this way at there shower time i would have cute practical things for them...... Then it was my turn. I have to tell you its kinda upsetting getting a package of t shirts and a 8 dollar outfit from target from your best friend especially when you know that they aren't in any financial trouble. I probably always come close to $75 to $100 but like I said I buy little things every couple weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• If I see something I know she wants/needs, I buy it. It doesn't matter how far in advance it is. But usually, I end up going out a week or two ahead of time and finding something. I agree - get the practical stuff, the bigger items she's registered for (maybe go in on something with a friend). Those knick knacky things aren't exactly helpful! :)
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 8:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I don't have a set amount - sometimes it depends on what I can do at the time or who it is and how close I am to them - I am also a person who puts things back that I pick up on sale or whatever so I have an array of outfits and things like that available. At my baby's shower (the 6 month old) the girls hosting the shower had a drawing from everyone who brought diapers - so in addition to the gifts - we got diapers - we didn't have to purchase diapers till she was just over 5 months old and it was GREAT!!

Bottles are great - but you also don't know if her baby's going to be a particular one (like mine - lol) and not take them - lol - clothes - even much bigger than she'll need for a while is fantastic - I like to do picture frames or gift certificates to a photo store... etc.

AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• She is not really registered for anything big, She got a crib and stuff like that from her family. She knows she cant breast feed which is why I was going with bottles. She wants the tub that purifies the water but I am not ok with spending that money when I have 3 regular baby tubs in my house and I am TTC. I was going to give her my daughters old clothing but we might be pregnant and I dont want to give it up until I know if I am or not and if its a girl I would have lost all my stuff. Her comment thing on her registry has what she really wants which is why I chose most of what I did and other things I personally as a mother of 2 see no use for but I dont want the baby to go without what she will need either.
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My standard gift is a baby food mill, a copy of Super Baby Food, and a really cute outfit from TJ Maxx

Answer by rkoloms at 8:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• How much I spend depends on how close I am to the person. I always take a look at the registry, but usually end up doing a gift bag/basket of some sort with lots of small, useful items. If I know about it in advance, I start looking through the clearance aisles early and put stuff away. I add things like diaper rash cream and baby wash too because sometimes new parents forget to register for those things. I do add a "trinket" toy or two usually, but it makes for part of the whole basket and I do make them useful too. And always a package of diapers and wipes!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I get practical things they want. I spend about 30 bucks.

I had that same thing happen with my friend. No one bought her the bottles she wanted or the burp clothes. So i got her a ridiculous supply and she said to me the next day "thanks for not getting me more outfits"
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2009