Washing my son's hair

My son LOVES to take a bath. He will play in the bathtub for HOURS sometimes if I let him but when it comes to washing his hair he SCREAMS BLOODY MURDER! He flat out REFUSES to tip his head back so I can rinse the soap out of his hair. I've tried having him look at the ceiling, I try using a cup, I try using the shower head (he LOVES showers) but NOTHING works. He SCREAMS and fights and make the whole situation worse than it needs to be.

Any ideas?

EBeauty03

Asked by EBeauty03 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is the same way!!!! he'll play in a bathtub forever, but he hates water in his face. It's not somuch washing his hair, but he won't tip his head back either.... I give him a washcloth to hold over his eyes. And although he stills fusses a little, it's not that bad of a fight....
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 8:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• At walmart they make a foam shield thing - they come in a package of two and look like animals. We used one with our 12 y/o daughter and it made all the difference. When our 3 y/o son came along I'd have given my right arm for one and couldn't find one but they have them again now. You put it on like a cap and the bill keeps water from their face.

Best of luck to you!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I forgot to add that the foam things are $5 a package - and again, there are 2 .
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I have my son take the washcloth and wet his own hair. Then he knows exactly when to expect the water to come over his face and it doesn't seem to bother him as much. He's 23 months now and has been doing that for about 3-4 months now.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Ours is like that, too. Always has been. I just take a HUGE cup, and say, "Ready? 1, 2, 3!" I DUMP it on him on 3, and then say, "All done!" Fast & over with. This way there's no chit/chat, no fight, he knows it's coming. I usually only have to do it once, seldom twice (that's why a HUGE cup, LOL!) I hated it at first, but it's better than constantly trying to get him to do something that he won't do, which was tilt his head. Mainly because he's playing in the water with his toys, & doesn't want to "stop". So we just HURRY! LOL!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2009