Health Care Reform Discussion

Politics aside, it would be nice to have a real discussion about this Health Care bill. I don't care about town hall meetings, guns or union strong arms. All I want to know is what, specifically, you like about the bill, or what, specifically, you don't. No mention of Obama or general party ideals. I personally feel bad that people have questions that aren't being answered or that are filled with mean words and screaming.

lvpenguino

Asked by lvpenguino at 8:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think this pretty much sums it all up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afuekTcSFfM

Don;t worry it's only 90 seconds, it's in cartoon form, and "entertaining!" LOL :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• For instance, I agree that people that simply cannot purchase an insurance policy because of health conditions is wrong. There should be some access to a health insurance for everyone that desires it.

I don't like that you HAVE to have insurance. I feel like that's a persons personal choice, and if they're willing to assume the risk or they choose to pay cash for healthcare, that's their right. I also think the bill is vague: what is a "reasonable" deductible for a health plan? Certainly setting that number low will disqualify high-deductible plans, like Health Savings Accounts, that are great for small businesses.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• There are lots of little things in it.

Like it requires doctors to give "death counseling" every few months on seniors and gives them authority to fill out legal forms (that should only be done between a person and their attorney) right on the spot (without the patient consulting an attorney or their family first) - AND gives them cash incentives for doing so.

I don't mind patients making their own "pull the plug" orders...but it should not be legal to do under such a high pressure situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Great video Lori!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I don't like the fact that the bill is filled with stuff that has nothing to do with providing health care to the uninsured/underinsured. Educational funding and other programs are superfluous to the original plan.

I don't like the fact that no one has come up with an answer to what is "affordable".  How does the government decide what is affordable to the average citizen?

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• What I like, is coverage being available to all citizens. What I don't like is having it so unwieldy that the average person can't understand it. I am trying to follow it but there's a lot of info and references to other legislation, so really, a layperson will not fully understand it.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It will cripple the economy when the gov takes over 1/7th of our entire economy.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:52 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It seems fiscally irresponsible.

Congress hasn't figured out yet how to keep medicaid from going bankrupt....so how can they pay for this?

Get medicaid straightened out first, THEN see if you can work out an upgrade.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Here's another good video from the same people above!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWIW3ueUjSo&NR=1

Pretty easy to understand! LOL

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Don't get your answers to your questions about the bill here. There are lots of lies being repeated (on both sides). Look up a non-partisan fact check website, like factcheck.org, and make decisions for yourself.
    Jonsmommy408

Answer by Jonsmommy408 at 9:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2009