Attention anyone that has knowledge or experience with speech delays

My 2 1/2 year old son has always been very articulate and clear when he speaks. His sister is 17 months older than him and I think that has helped alot. The concern I have is that lately he has started stuttering. He will get stuck on a word and sometimes it seems like the only way to help is to say the word for him and then he will start over. I know he gets really excited sometimes when he talks and that could add to it. Would any of you be concerned or would you chalk it up to age and watch him for a while?

sarahbrown1220

Asked by sarahbrown1220 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• If it continues past his 3rd birthday or he regresses in other areas, or if he just seems to get so anxious/excited he can't get his words out then I would at least have it evaluated. It may just be a normal thing for him. Kids stutter for lots of reasons. I had a profoundly speech delayed child who did not speak clearly until he was almost 11. He began stuttering around age 3 and it was related to a neurological problem. My nephew seems to have always stuttered and there is no evidence of anything organic. He is just an anxious little boy who tries to talk as fast as he can and his brain says whoa..(according to his Dr). For now I would watch and be on the lookout for other changes.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Thank you so much for your advise! I am leaning towards the too fast for his brain type of thing, because he does seem to want to talk a mile a minute...and I will definitley keep an eye on it.
    sarahbrown1220

Answer by sarahbrown1220 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Boys will sometimes do this for a short period....just a phase. Keep an eye on him, and in a few months if you are still worried I would mention it to his pediatrician, just to have in on his radar...lol.

He is probably thinking faster than the words will come out. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• At 2 1/2, it is actually quite normal and common for kids to stutter. His mind is going much faster than his mouth. Don't rush him, don't panic, don't make fun of him. (I am sure you don't). If the stuttering doesn't go away in about 6 months to a year, then worry. My son stuttered for about a year and his doctor was not concerned. You could always mention it at your sons next doctors appointment.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• my almost 3 yr old does that too...I'll tell her to just slow down....I wouldn't worry about it at this age..
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• yeah, making fun of him would be the last thing on earth I would do
    sarahbrown1220

Answer by sarahbrown1220 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2009