How do I get rid of fleas in a safe way?

Recently my cat brought home fleas. Ugh. I tried using foggers to get rid of them (wicked pain and disgustingly toxic), but we still have them. I heard it's because the chemicals can't kill the fleas in the eggs before they hatch. I don't want to keep using the foggers, but my two kids are getting tons of bites. :-( Any ideas?

MamaApril2

Asked by MamaApril2 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Health

• eucalyptus. Odoban has the fragrance in it. I spray it on my carpet. They hate the smell

Answer by admckenzie at 8:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• flea bath and flea product on cat 1st step....make sure you use the stuff you get from the vet---safer for the cat and everyone around the cat...vaccum everyday...carpet powder(borax laundry detergent works too and less toxic chemicals)...you can get a bug guy to come out a spray the yard...wash everything, curtians,sheets, pillows, EVERYTHING... I have a flea phobia---they hatch every 3 days so youll be doing it for a week or two...but eventually they will go away.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• The only way to really get rid of fleas completely is to keep treating over and over again. There are 3 parts to the flea life cycle, and one part (the 2nd stage) is immune to EVERYTHING. So you have to keep killing them as they hatch. I would suggest getting n touch with a company that can use sprays that are safe for children and pets. A lot of them will give you discounts on repeat visits, such as Terminix. Also, before you treat, run your vacuum. Even if you have hardwood floors, vacuum everywhere and then take the vacuum bag immediately out of the house. Flea eggs will hide there and hatch in the safety of the bag. The vibration will also cause some to hatch prematurely. I have four dogs, and one foster I took in once had fleas, and they infested everything. It took me 3 months to completely get rid of them, and it was no fun! Good luck and I hope this helps! :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 8:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• If you don't want to call an exterminator, what you need to do is this:

First, put Frontline Plus on your pets. Frontline Plus kills fleas/ticks at ALL stages. If I were you, I would confine your pet to a small area (like maybe a guest bathroom?) for 24 hours, til the flea meds absorb completely and the fleas that are on them are killed. After treating your pets, you need to strip all your bedding and wash it all in hot water with detergent. You may also want to do any sheets or clothes that have been left out for any period of time. Vacuum your mattresses, couches, rugs, carpets, etc THOROUGLY. Don't forget to also vacuum wood floors because fleas will get into the cracks of the wood and hide there too. If you have carpet, you will probably need a powder you can sprinkle on. Check at the pet store for the safest thing for kids. As soon as you vacuum, Take out the bag or wash out the canister. Repeat every 2 weeks til gone
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2009