At what age did you put your child in a toddler bed?

My son is 2 and I've been thinking about converting his crib to the toddler bed, BUT I'm concerned he will just get out of it and come to our bedroom. I'm also concerned cause his room is closest to the stairs. He does okay at bedtime, but I'm sure he'd rather be in ours. He slept in our room until he was about 15 months because he didn't have a room at the time. We now live in a 5 bedroom house and he his own room. Should I just keep it as a crib for a while longer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try the switch. You can put a gate on his door, if you want, and I recommend one at the top of the stairs anyway. A gate at his door is not mean - a crib is just a gate around the bed.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Duh, forgot to answer. We put ours in a double bed at 18 months from our bed.
    apexmommy

• I switched my dd over at 14 mos. At night, when she is either asleep or going to sleep I shut her door until I KNOW she is asleep. Then I open it before I go to bed and she comes in my room around 4-6 am. It used to be later, but she is going through a weird phase.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i didn't have a set age for either of my dd....when they could climb out of the crib...it became obsolete and i got them toddler beds...i think my oldest was 2 but my youngest was a fricking monkey...she was out of it by 10months.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Keep him in the crib until he is closer to 3 years old. There's no hurry. Especially with the stairs being nearby. You don't want to chance a neck-breaking fall in the middle of the night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• my oldest was in a toddler bed at 18 months, the same time we broke him of the bottle (that was the hardest). My youngest will be going in a toddler bed soon...he is 19 months. He is ready, for he climbs on his brother's bed to go to sleep. Some may think it is too young (my hubbie did) but you can always put something up, like a net, to keep them from rolling out. Or put blankies under where they can roll onto them in the night.
    pruden5956

Answer by pruden5956 at 12:21 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My son has been in a toddler bed going on 3 weeks now. We started just for naps, then moved him in overnight. He's only rolled out once since the rails go halfway. But he gets in it to nap by himself now. When he gets up he plays quietly or asks for breakfast. No stairs in our house so I don't have to worry, and the door stays closed at night. But he's pretty good about not leaving the room since all his toys are right there.
    reecenkaden

Answer by reecenkaden at 12:30 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My daughter has been in a toddler bed since about 15 months. I just bought her a bed with Dora cause that's what she likes and got her matching sheets and she sleeps in it every night. Gets in it when we tell her to go to bed and everything. I simply switched her one day from my bed to hers and she did fine.
    Mommy-N-07-N-09

Answer by Mommy-N-07-N-09 at 1:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2009