When is it too many meds for teething!?!

My DD is 5 months old and has been teething for about 2 weeks. She can't get through naps or nightime without something to take away the pain. I use Camilia, which is a homeopathic remedy but she tosses and turns ALL NIGHT long, moaning and wakes every 1-2 hrs to feed for comfort. She is constantly exhausted! I have bought Motrin and Tylenol IN CASE she starts to freak out and scream (it's only happened once so far, thank gawd!) My concern is that first her gums show no sign that she's teething.. and if she's one of those babies who teeth for months on end, which I'm sure she will be how can you give your baby tylenol or motrin every night to help them sleep? Isn't that dangerous for their litttle bellies? Is it just better to let her be sleep deprived and cranky all day rather than give her meds all day, all night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try the Hylands teething tabs instead, with frozen, damp washcloths and frequent nursing. 5 months is too young for ibuprofen and acetaminophen can build up in the liver.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• How do u know she is teething if her gums show no signs? just because she is fussy and tired? Tylenol is not harmful, if used correctly. does she have n teeth yet?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• she's constantly chewing, gnawing on things, she whines while rubbing her gums vigorously. she's drooling excessively. When I put her down for naps she starts to rub her gums while shoving her fist into her mouth. Apparently babies gums don't always show the signs of teething. I was hoping to see red swolen gums but she's just not there yet. She doesn't have any teeth ..yet..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• As your baby's doctor - according to my peditrician, my 6 month old can have ibuprofen on an infrequent basis - and was given this information at her 4 month well baby check - so ask your doctor. As for teething - it's hard for them, isn't it!? We use the Hylands teething tabs - if it gets real intense then I'll add some tylenol but I don't give it to her daily. Something she loves is that I got one of the munchkin mesh things that you can put food into and I'll fill it with ice - when she's really hurting, we do that and she loves it!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 9:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My advice is buy a Baltic Amber Teething necklace... they are WONDERFUL! We own 3 for my son.
    The baby wears it and it heats up with body temperature and releases a natural pain killer that is absorbed by the skin. SO they don't chew on it or anything, just wear it next to their skin. And it works!!!
    We didn't have it for my son's first 4 teeth and it was awful... poor guy was so medicated. And still cranky and not sleeping.
    For teeth 5 & 6 you wouldn't have know they were even coming in. Now he just got 2 molars and another tooth in front with another to come in soon... and this time with so many teeth he has needed a little motrin before bed, but that is it. Once per day and the rest of the time he is a happy camper.
    Buy them on ebay or online from Europe. They shouldn't cost you more than $10. (the ones in the U.S. are over priced)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My LO chewed, drooled, etc for months before his teeth came in. Not saying it is not teething, but you may want to look t other issues (inadequate feedings, over stimulation, etc). I would NOT recommend Tylenol for teething... I dont feel it is safe for babies and should not be used casually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2009