If you are a person that believes in God..

If you believe in God what do you think of this situation? My mother commited suicide about ten years ago. She was bipolar and manic and had several problems with drugs and addiction in her short life. This was not her first attempt at suicide just the one she got right I guess. Well, the reason I ask this is because my own brother believes she is burning in hell for her "sin". I do not personally believe that or believe that hell is a place to burn for eternity at all. I believe that God knows your heart and is a God of love not punishment and fear.

What is your opinion on suicide and hell?

*This is not a place for hateful comments at all*

sarahbrown1220

Asked by sarahbrown1220 at 8:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think God is a God of punishment and fear either. I think she wasn't completely in her right mind and didn't know how else to deal with it. I personally believe that if you are sorry for your actions and sins, God will forgive you. I also believe that if you do wrong and aren't sorry, then you go to hell. Except for the terrible sins like murder and rape, then you just automatically go to Hell. I've formed my own beliefs along the way, I don't believe in any one religion. These are just my thoughts and opinions.
    I'm sorry for you loss though :(
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 8:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• This is the official position of my faith on suicide (copied text):

Although it is wrong to take one’s own life, a person who commits suicide may not be responsible for his or her acts. Only God can judge such a matter.

Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles has said: “Obviously, we do not know the full circumstances surrounding every suicide. Only the Lord knows all the details, and he it is who will judge our actions here on earth.

"When he does judge us, I feel he will take all things into consideration: our genetic and chemical makeup, our mental state, our intellectual capacity, the teachings we have received, the traditions of our fathers, our health, and so forth” (“Suicide: Some Things We Know, and Some We Do Not,” Ensign, Oct. 1987, 8).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I think suicide is a sin like any other, and I do not believe we go to hell because of ours sins. I believe that if we chose to trust and believe in Him that is all that matters at the end of our lives.
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 8:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Thank you! I am with you on forming your own thoughts along the way "open Bible, open mind"
    sarahbrown1220

Answer by sarahbrown1220 at 8:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I went to a Catholic school for 5 years and HATED it. I will never send my DD to one. I'm Catholic, technically, but I don't follow it the way I "should." I believe what I want. That's why I feel like there's no one "right" religion.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 8:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• IMO, I think there is a split second before our souls leave our bodies and in that time God can hear a "Please forgive me" or "God I am so sorry" He knows what has gone on in this womans heart, mind & soul. Where she is is between her & God & not my plce to judge.
    There's a BIG difference between a person with "mental" issues & a person like Ted Bundy. I believe Bundy is gonna be putting hotdogs on a stick for satan for eternity but this lady...let's just say I can't wait to meet her one day
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Technically from what I have been told ( and if i'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected) the only unforgiveable sin is blasphemy. Also I have been told there is mercy on those with some kind of neurological disorder. My feeling is that she is happy and no longer haunted by the "demons" from her life. I think she has been shown mercy and is now with her lord and savior. So sorry for your loss.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• awwww!!! WAganma56- so sweet, that was such a lovely way to end your response!
    sarahbrown1220

Answer by sarahbrown1220 at 9:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I am very sorry to hear about your mom. I hope the Lord will bring you peace of mind and HE will bring comfort to you as well.
    I do believe in heaven and in hell. I do believe the unsaved shall die and perish in hell.
    However, I also believe that God is a good God, A loving God, and a very compassionate God.
    Some people unfortunately can been mentally unstable or maybe someone is just so lost in his or her own pain and suffering, that they will take their own lives.
    I think suicide is a very "if-y" issue. Noone knows for certain, but my belief as a Christian may differ from some others. I believe that GOD knows each of our hearts. I believe HE is hurt when he sees one of his Children suffering in such a way for so long. I believe that God does forgive suicide. He knows the state of their mind, their heart, their health, etc. God knows everything about all of us long before we do.
    I am going to believe, and I want you
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I'm agnostic, so take this with a grain of salt, I guess... but if there is a God, I believe he (or she) knows that any person that takes their own life has a mental illness, how can he punish someone who wasn't in a proper frame of mind? Mental illness is as real as any other illness...would he punish those with heart disease? I hope that makes some sense.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2009