Pro's and con's of bottle feeding

My 3 week old had her first bottle today. (We were out and she got hungry with grandma) I don't know how I feel about this. She has been breastfed since she was born and the bottle had formula in it because there wasn't time to thaw a bottle of breastmilk. I heard babies who are bottle fed (with either formula or breastmilk) have a higher chance of getting ear infections and more gassy. I know I don't want her on formula, but what about the bottle?

StarrTiger

Asked by StarrTiger at 8:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both my boys started out nursing but I also pumped and then they went to formula around three months. My oldest has had ear infections, about 4 of them, he is 2 1/2. His first he didn't get until a year. My second, he is 1 1/2 now, hasn't had an ear infection yet. My brothers and I were all ff and never had ear infections and my husband was bf until 9 months and he had tubes put in his ears. So honestly, people do say it does make a difference, but I don't see it. My boys also have never been sick until they started daycare, at 9 months and 22 months. Now that they have been out of daycare for a month they haven't been sick at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Sometimes,the gas can be caused by baby sucking air out of a bottle. This can be prevented by watching carefully to make sure there is always milk in the nipple of the bottle while baby is feeding & making sure the bottle is taken away when the milk is gone.

I used to be a nanny for a little boy who ate exclusively breastmilk but would have it in bottles 2-3 times a day while his mom worked (she would come home for lunch so it was just the mid-morning & mid-afternoon feedings & occasionally a late afternoon). He was never gassy & was very healthy. It is the breastmilk itself that is great for baby. An occasionally bottle of breastmilk won't hurt anything.

You may also want to make sure you leave breastmilk in the fridge, just in case. I've noticed that Grandma's tend to want to feed babies so be prepared.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 8:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• They make bottles that are made to produce less air. It is worth the extra money to invest in these bottles while the child is young, this will help prevent the gas. It is not like your grandmother gave her rat poison, she will be fine. My son was on both and didnt' have any issues.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 8:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Bottles are ok but only if used when mom CAN NOT nurse, if mom is there mom needs to nruse or supply WILL be effected. heres info on why BF babies shouldn't have formula "just because". Theres no reason you could've have just nursed her right?? AND thawing out BM means running it under hot water for 2 minutes...less time than formula.
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/supppit.asp
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/supplement.asp
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/bfoutcomes.asp
    http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading_room/what_should_know_formula.html

Bottles should be used after 6-8 weeks, and only when mom can not nurse becuase she is not there and mom should pump for every missed feeding at the same time....supply will be effected otherwise.

I sabotaged my older 2 kids because of bad info about bottles and formula, my 3rd was EBF and got bottles of BM when I worked and I pumped. hes 27 months now
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• An occassional bottle of breastmilk really isn't going to have those kind of effects. If it's exclusive, it can be possible, but it sounds like you're just giving an occassional bottle?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i agree with what tabi said! check out the links she provided, she's a smart lady!!!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• bottle feeding alone won't cause ear infections. breastmilk helps to prevent them, though. Bottlefeeding an infant while on its back can potentially cause them, but usually kids get them following colds becuae their ear tubes do not drain the same way adults do. smoke makes them more suceptable to them as well. As far as gas, some babies get gas from breastfeeding. But yes, bottles are much worse for it. There are many bottles that help prevent the amount of gas such as drop in systems and air vent sytems. Those would work well with breastmilk. Many even allow you to pump into their bottle or their drop in. So that could be a good option. Remember to burp baby often, or when switch breasts when nursing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Pros with a bottle for me...my child can eat during my 8 hour work day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i think people go way overboard. there is this thinking that all breastfed babies wil always be healthier and never get an ear infection or sick, and that bottle feeding with formula will cause sickness every other day. But I dont see it, in my family, friends ,myself, my own child......so definately substituting formula once in awhile wont cause sickness for your child esp.since the first weeks is the most important supposidly.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 10:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It sounds to me like Grandma has another agenda. It takes less than 5 minutes to boil water and thaw a milk-cicle.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009