How can I get my son to blow his nose?

Why is this task so hard? Can someone please tell me how I can get my son to blow his nose.

aussiesma

Asked by aussiesma at 8:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• tell him to close his mouth and push air out really hard with his nose, and show him when you do it. this worked for my daughter when she was about 2 1/2 she still opens her mouth while blowing her nose, but it works better than trying to clean it out myself or suction it,and shes 3 1/2. so it takes a while for them to grasp it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• my sons almost 3-he just recently started blowing his nose...He got tired of me using the suction bulb to clean it out...I usually put the kleenex up to his nose and tell him to blow hard-kind of play around and tell him "come on you can blow harder than that" he thinks its a game then and tries to do even better...when he's in a stubborn mood and doesn't want to blow his nose I tell him its either he blows it or I'll use the "snot sucker"-needless to say he's quick to listen lol
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I have an 8 year old that won't blow his nose. His 6 year old sister and 2 year old brother both will. But he won't. I have no advice for you, only empathy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• lol- my oldest sucks in the snot while my youngest, at 19 months, blows his nose like mommy (my husband sucks in his snot too...like father like son). I just tell him to get the boogies out, show him my own boogers (gross but it works) and then he tries to blow out. It hurts him though so I don't make him do it much.
    pruden5956

Answer by pruden5956 at 12:01 AM on Aug. 11, 2009