Is it wrong that I call my son names?

Sometimes I get upset at my son and call him a "baby" and to my friends I sometimes refer to him as a little a**hole... Am I in the wrong?

dakotaNrye

Asked by dakotaNrye at 9:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yes, you're damaging his self esteem
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Um ya its not the best idea to call u lil one names, he will learn the same thing and do as u do
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 9:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yes... You are very wrong. You are being a bully. You need to get your temper in check and act like an adult.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 9:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• ya you shouldn't do it around him. i refer to my daughter as my little shyt when she isn't around, or the hellion or something like that when she is making me crazy, but i don't do it in earshot. but calling him a baby just isn't fair to him, he is a kid and kids act like babies. telling him he's a baby is just going to make him more whiney or whatever it is he's doing not help any, just teach him diff ways to do whatever he's doing.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Well.. let me ask you this... how would you feel if you had a roommate that referred to you like that? Or your DH/BF? Just bc he is young doesn't mean he doesn't comprehend and get his feelings hurt. I hope he doesn't hear you calling him these names- bc kids have long memories and he will remember those words for a long time.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• So when he is crying over nothing and I tell him to stop being a cry baby I am ruining him?
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 9:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I sometimes call my daughter little dragon... But just because right after I found out I was pregnant my hubby decided to give the baby a name and called her "Komoto". And you know Komoto dragons... that's why our daughter is our little dragon!
    Otherwise I just call her cute names...
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 9:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I use cute names with him, but I find myself calling him a cry baby :( He normally stops and wipes his tears, but I just want to pull my hair out!!
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 9:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• When he's crying over nothing and you tell him to stop being a cry baby you're not ruining his life as long as its a random comment not a constant sentence you say to him I think.

His importantance is not same to you because he's a child and by your age you are not.

Good for you for writing in and getting opinions. Maybe he feels you dont pay attention to him enough for his growth needs?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Cry baby would be okay, I guess, if he's a baby and he's crying. But a$$hole is mean! And one day he might just call you the same!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2009