What advice can you give for saving money/slashing spending?

I am currently in the process of seeking a demotion at work so that I can spend more time at home with my children. It will definitely hurt as far as the financial loss but right now spending time with my children while they're young is more important to me. I'd like to know the easiest or most effective ways any of you ladies can offer, thinking outside the box, on saving money/slashing spending/stretching the family budget. I've already considered the obvious like eliminating trips out to eat, seeing movies in theaters, eliminating non-necessities from grocery shopping trips, etc.

alleyway.ink

Asked by alleyway.ink at 9:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you have cable, cancel it. Learn to love buying second hand (it really is more fun than shopping retail). Here is an article I wrote on saving money at the grocery store; I hope that you find it inspiring: http://www.ehow.com/how_5223945_save-even-money-grocery-store.html

Answer by rkoloms at 9:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• if it all possible go down to one car! Saves insurance , gas, note, and maintenance. We have done it . We can more than afford a new one but we refuse to do it. It is not necessary and it saves money. Cut back on your cell plan.. Next time u take a look at if u have one look at all the taxes on it. Even on each line.

bubbaelea22

Answer by bubbaelea22 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Sit down and go through your budget. Look and see how you spend your money. Make two columns -necessities and not necessities. fill it out. By filling it out, it will help you see where you can cut.look at your necessity column-electricity-set your thermostat a little higher, water-shorter showers, look at how much water you use, phone-do you have both a land line and a cell phone, need only one if its a cell phone cut back on the hours, we use only one vehicle-look at your car insurance policy see what is really needed, limit how many trips you make to save on gas:not necessities-cable, eating out,lawn care if you pay someone,babysitters,if you need more ideas just let me know
    biblebowlmom

Answer by biblebowlmom at 5:32 AM on Aug. 12, 2009