BREAST MILK?

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR MILK TO COME IN?

TashaMarie349

Asked by TashaMarie349 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's supposed to take 1-2 days but for women that have c-sections it can take a little longer. I had a c-section, and mine never REALLY came in. I ended up bf for the first month with formula help, a lactation nurse, and still nothing. Good luck.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 9:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Mine came in within about 3 or 4 days, but I could never make enough. Eventually I just gave up and now we're FF.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 9:32 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I had a c-section a month ago and like Bamzakarat my milk hasn't really come in, I've bf (with supplemental formula otherwise my ds would not be gaining weight), I was hoping to bf longer but know that it's ok if you have to ff as long as your little one is getting fed and gaining weight (it took me a while to be ok with supplementing with formula)
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• if you're a first-time mom, you'll probably notice your milk increasing about three to four days postpartum, with your breasts getting fuller, firmer, and heavier. If you've had a very difficult delivery, or if you notice a lot of extra swelling (edema) in your body after a prolonged induction with an epidural, you may find that it takes a day or two more for the milk volume to increase. With your second or later babies, you're likely to notice it a bit earlier, at around two to three days. These time frames are averages — some moms have milk earlier, some later. Your baby is getting colostrum from the start, though, so don't worry that he has nothing to eat!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I just wanted to add that before your milk even comes in, colostrum is awesome for those first few days. It is full of antibodies and protein and is perfect until your milk does arrive. Mine usually takes 3 to 4 days to be complete milk. If any of the placenta is left inside it can take long or not even come at all so that is a concern for c-section mamas. Nursing on demand can keep a good milk supply up.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 10:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• anywhere from 1-7 days. it really depends on the woman and how your baby is nursing. if baby is a wonderful nursling and you nurse on demand, then the milk will probably come in sooner rather than later. but, if you try to schedule or baby isn't so great at first, then it might take longer.
    all you need to worry about the first week of life is 1 diaper change a day. after the first week, it's 6-8 diaper changes a day. that's how you will know if baby is getting enough.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It can take up to one week and before that, colostrum comes in to give the baby the nourishment it needs until the milk comes. I breastfed both of my boys and plan to breastfeed my third. In the beginning, I supplemented my milk with formula, for the colostrum didn't cut it alone; don't give up...keep trying to feed them and the milk will come in. I had C-sections with both my kids and I was able to breastfeed at least a year with both of my kids.
    pruden5956

Answer by pruden5956 at 11:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Mine came in right away a few hrs after he was born. I had pneumonia, therefore he was early didn't know how to suck. I was told he needed extra care and I had to pump and they will give him the BM in the tube that went to his stomach. So I really don't know if the pump helped make it come faster b/c of the strenghth. But even with being so sick, I had plenty of milk.
    Prican91181

Answer by Prican91181 at 10:17 AM on Aug. 11, 2009