WHAT SHOULD I DO?

MY SON WHO IS 15 GOT INTO A FIGHT WHEN I LEFT HIM FOR 2 HOUR ALONE WITH HIS SISTER THAT IS 13. MY BEST FRIEND CAME OVER TO CHECK ON THEM AND THIS BOY CAME UP THAT HAD SPIT ON HER DAUGHTER(JUST LIKE A SISTER TO HIM) SO MY SON HIT THE BOY, AND BUSTED THE BOYS LIP. I ALWAYS TOLD HIM TO PROTECT HIS SISTERS. SO SHOULD I PUNSH HIM OR JUST TALK TO HIM. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I HAVE TOLD HIM NO FIGHTING. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?

okc-mom-2

Asked by okc-mom-2 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I'd tell him to remove from fighting atmosphere first then if pursued physically fight if life threatenend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i'm not sure i follow, your bf went over to check on your kids, while she was there another child spit on her daughter, and he punched the boy? seems to me he was protecting someone he looks at as family and a woman on top of that. i'd talk to him, find out if he asked the child to leave first or whatever. and if he said he didn't ask the boy to apologize maybe tell him next time to ask the boy to apologize and leave and go from there. that way you have reiterated the no hitting policy but still let him know you're proud he stuck up for her.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My father always told me, if I started the fight I was in trouble but if I was just using self defense there was nothing wrong with it, I was always told to chose my battles wisely. I say just talk to him, he did nothing wrong, he protected his sister like he was told to do.
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Was your friend at the house when the fight started,it would be nice if you can talk to the boy parents,they need to know he is spitting,I hate to hear of kids fighting. Talk him,I wouldn't punish him,but,I would tell him next time try to talk before hitting.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• You should talk to him. Violence doesn't solve anything. You can stand up for someone and protect them without violence. I wouldn't punish him this time, but the next time he laid his hands on someone, he would be punished. I would also talk to the boys parents about what happpened so they know what he did and why he got the busted lip.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i would be talking to the other kids parents sounds like there son has no respect for women and your son put him in too place i would also let your son know that hitting him was not right and there is other was too solve what has happen but also let him know that is was good that he did stand up for the girls and yes the other guy was wrong also sounds like u have a good son on your hands who watches out for the girls
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 3:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2009