Cloth Diapers in Daycares

The daycare my children are in will not allow cloth diapering because they feel it is unsanitary. DHS and the licensing department for daycares only states that the daycare cannot rinse or wash the diapers and they need to be bagged and taken home daily to be washed. My question is do you agree/disagree with this? Do you feel cloth diapers are unsanitary, if so, why? Do you think it should or should not be allowed in daycares?

cat1622

Asked by cat1622 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• what about getting a home day care?
    but yes they are unsanitary if cloth was a good barrier we'd get our blood drawn by people wearing cotton gloves
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• No. A co-worker used them. She had to bring in a daiper genie or some sort of sealing trash can and wash them herself at home. I udnerstand them not wanting the day care worker to was them for sanitation reasons, but not to allow them at all? That's odd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I worked in a center and we had 2 kids in cloth diapers and it was disgusting. Sorry. Even when we bagged the soiled diapers, the classroom smelled like stale urine and BM's. The parents had to provide a diaper pail and bags to put the dirty diapers in and had to take the diapers home nightly. We did NOT clean out diapers that had poop in them, we just put them in a plastic bag or two and tied them up. We did not have the time or staff to be washing out diapers. I really don't think they should be allowed in day cares, it is just a lot of work for someone that has to take care of anywhere from 4-8 kids at one time, depending on the age.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I don't think they should be allowed in day care centers. Regardless of what DHS states, a daycare is a business and it is within their right to object to almost anything they want. The one my son went to wouldn't allow crocs. I thought it was stupid but it's their rules.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I agree with them. When you have up to 12 tots to change up to 4 times a day, the last thing a child care worker needs to worry about is soiled cloth diapers. And cloth diapers need to be changed more often than disposables, which means less time spent with the other children. Just send along disposables. You can probably get away with sending your child to school with a cloth diaper, but send disposables for when your child needs a changing. Get the parents Choice brand...they are inexpensive but very good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We had the same issue, it sucked.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Well, at a daycare, I can understand. They are unsanitary, as cloth doesn't prevent pee from getting all over the floor, the furniture, the toys, etc... Great for use at you own home, but even when I provided home daycare, I wouldn't have allowed cloth diapers either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I agree completely with them.. There is alot of "care" that is involved in changing a cloth diaper, daycare workers already have so much on them they don't need the added stuff to do (Rinse, bag up, etc etc) plus like said as well it is extremely unsanitary.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:12 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Forgot to add everyone I know who has used cloth diapers has used cloth diapers at home and just sent regular diapers to the daycare..
    KalebsMommee

• Wow.. lots of misconceptions about cloth diapers.

1. Cloth doesnt leak if you put them on right, use a cover, and change the baby at least every 2 hours (which you need to do for sposies anyways!)
    2. If it smells horrible you arent storing them correctly.
    3. It doesnt take any longer to change a cloth diaper than a sposie so its not like they are taking time away from other children. Diapers have come a LONG way and not many people do it granny style anymore.

CDs arent unsanitary if you care for them properly but i do believe its up to the daycare owner to decide for themselves whether they want to change CDs or not. I just wonder what the working parents of children allergic to sposies are supposed to do. Find an in home daycare provider i guess??? Maybe a nanny?
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 12:14 AM on Aug. 11, 2009