Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i think my microwave just died...

i was making one of those "baked" potatoes that is wrapped w/some kinda plastic for the microwave. the one where you leave the wrap on and nuke it for about 7-8 mins. well i noticed it'd been a bit and it hadn't binged so i went in and the clock is off. hit buttons no noise no beeps. think its dead, anyone ever have this happen? i unplugged it b/c i'm afraid if it is fried it'll catch fire if i leave it plugged in. any ideas?


Asked by vabchmommy at 9:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 5 (76 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Yeap, your microwave died. Time for a replacement. Mine did the same thing. I was making microwave popcorn!!! I was sooo sad. Just unplug the poor thing and call the garbage dept to find out how to dispose of him. They cannot be put in the regular garbage.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

  • Throw is away and go buy a new one.

    Answer by LoriAnn87 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

  • Hm. Yeah, it does sound deceased. If you plug it back in, it make come back to life, but I wouldn't let it operate except under your watchful eye even so. It may be time to get new one. Mine just started taking ages to cook anything when it finally stopped working.

    Answer by Bmat at 9:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

  • Some microwaves have built in sensors that will automatically "kill" the microwave if it overheats. I've never, ever had to cook a baked potato for 7-8 minutes so it may be the microwave overheated and shut itself down. Ours has done that a few times when "someone" burned popcorn or a potato. Unplug it and let it cool for several hours, then plug it in and see if it will power up and heat a mug of water. If it doesn't it still may be less expensive to have it repaired than to buy a new one.

    Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:33 AM on Aug. 11, 2009