My dog's not feeling too well, I think :(

Ok, our dog is 70lbs, current on all of his shots, flea treatments, etc. The past few days it's been really hot, and he hasn't been too interested in his food; normally he's a grazer, he'll eat little amounts throughout the day. His gums are nice and pink, and he's not dehydrated but they're a little inflamed. He's also had some really watery diarrhea, it comes and goes. He's heart worm negative, so I know it can't be that.
I'm thinking that he's really bothered by the heat, but do any of you have any ideas on how to get him feeling better?

SarahLeeMorgan

Asked by SarahLeeMorgan at 9:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pets

• go outside with him so he's not left out too long. as moms we can get busy and leave our dogs out longer than they should be. do his eyes look sick? if they do take him in. a few years ago my two dogs passed around a smiliar virus between them for weeks. does he go to dog parks?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• try giving him a block of ice (freeze water in a milk jug and cut the jug away from the ice) when he's outside in addition to cold water. take him to the vet though and get him checked out. i hope he feels better soon.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• No dog parks, he's a boxer/pit bull mix so if he got into a fight, even if he didn't start it, he would be blamed for it. I walk with him for an hour every day, though I have been lazy the past few days. His eyes are normal, he seems happy but kind of blah at the same time. I did have him boarded in July, and that's when the diarrhea started, but all the dogs at the clinic where he boarded have to be current on all of their shots before going in so I don't think he got anything from there.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 10:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You can give him Pepto for the tummy upset. Or you can give pumpkin puree (non spiced). Anything with high amounts of fiber will help with the diarrhea. If you have a kiddy pool you can let him lay in some shallow water to help cool him off too. Have you taken his temperature?

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Haven't taken his temperature, I don't have a doggy thermometer. I was thinking of getting a kiddy pool, but he's afraid of water; I can't even get near him with the hose lol. And his food has pumpkin in it, so he should be ok on fiber.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 10:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You might call your vet and ask about an electrolyte you can buy at TSC or a feed store. The high temps and the little bit of the runs can sure take the energy right out of him. Try mixing a half-gatorade and half-water solution for him to drink and make that the only liquid available. It'll give him the fluids he needs plus a few extra electrolytes until you can get something from your vet. Gatorade won't make him sick, as our vet has suggested it several times, to our dogs, cats, and horses, with little to no side effects.

It's probably just a heat lethargy, do what you can to keep him cool.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:32 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• when they are boarded they can get stressed out and it will cause gastritis....it is normal and should go away. If the diarrhea gets bad he will need some meds for it so he doesn't get dehydrated....If he's not eating it could be b/c of the heat, but also b/c of the diarrhea...if it's been going on since July , I personally would have him looked at, but most likely that's what it is....just upset tummy from stress.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:52 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Calliesmommie: the diarrhea happened once in July, right when we brought him home, and then it was gone. It came back a few days ago, and he's been fine since yesterday.
    Matobe: thanks, I'll give the Gatorade a try! Might just go to the feed store in town and pick up some of the electrolyte stuff we used to give the horses.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Sorry your dog is not feeling well with the heat... Add some ice cubes to his water bowl or see if he will even eat some ice as a treat.
    x-tra hydration -
    Also, give him some cooked chicken and white rice for the next few days - Off this is 3 very small meals. You can also give some Pepto bismol - get the tablet kind and give him 1 every 8 hrs for the next 24 hrs.
    Most vets feel that Pepto is fine for dogs. (NOT for cats....)

See here for more help at the Allexperts / ask the pet nurse:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dog-Food-Canine-3799/indexExp_96050.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 2:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Put him on a bland diet of boiled ground beef and rice.....make it mostly rice like 3/4 rive to 1/4 boiled ground beef. If his tummy is icky he will be happy but not too perky. Good luck and keep me posted.
    mmoleader

Answer by mmoleader at 12:47 AM on Aug. 13, 2009