Do you think this is a lot?!

I work days and my husband works nights. He keeps the kids (3 & 1) while I work and I keep them in the afternoon. There's 3 hours (from 2:30-5:30pm) that we need daycare. I called around today and the best price I could find was $110 a week. For 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. We live in Alabama. To put a baby in daycare full time here it's 90/wk. People I know with 2 kids pay 140/wk for both kids' daycare full time. Do you think 110 is too much? Should I go ahead and pay for full time so I will have the option to take them in the mornings sometimes too if it's not much more?

My hubby is FREAKING out because we'll be paying the same amount for daycare that we pay for our house payment every month. He's being a real ass about it but we don't have any other choice. Either I can give up my $350 a week paycheck or pay $110 for daycare. Men DO NOT understand some things... grrr... Opinions PLEASE!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That seems like a lot to me. But, if they are going to turn down a full time person (or 2) for your three hours a day, they need to recoup that loss somewhat. So that's probably why you are paying almost as much as the full time people.
    Debbie062008

Answer by Debbie062008 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Wait! You pay 440 a month for your house payment!?!?!?! thats freaking fabulous. I Live in Ca and my payment is 1300... Bah!

Back on the subject... If you can afford it go for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• lmao
    i live right out side dc so i ditto the above :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Don't quit your job,those prices for 2 children aren't bad.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Not at all. We paid $90 per week for for my stepdaughters afterschool care during elementry school (1.5 hours each day) and we're going to be paying somewhere between 180-250 for day care for our son who will be born in October and he will only go three days a week.
    jdouglas111

Answer by jdouglas111 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• For 2 kids, that is not a bad price. In my area, full time day care for those ages would be between $190-250 a week. Some of the places do NOT offer part time rates for infants/toddlers.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I think I would quit my job, stay home with the kids, cut corners with your money and savor the time with your children.... I know it's a huge price to pay but just think of the benefits. They will start school soon enough and then you can go back to work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• "Some of the places do NOT offer part time rates for infants/toddlers."

OP here... You're right. I called a LOT of daycares today that wanted $100 a week just for my one year old. The nursery rate is the same no matter how long they stay. You pay for the whole week/full time if they come.

Obviously the prices for daycare vary based on where you live, I'd just like to know if anybody pays the same amount for daycare as they could pay for a house payment or rent. I mean we pay 445 for a 3BR/2BA house. And our house is pretty nice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2009