Did your doctor/midwife ever mention to you if ur baby won't turn they will try to turn it???

I'm NOT pregnant, but I saw lots of questions about baby turning or breech position.

My daughter was turning head down with 37 weeks, and I remember my midwife telling me at my 36 week appointment that if my baby wouldn't turn by 38 weeks they would try to turn it... Telling me how they would try to turn it on the outside of my belly...

Did anybody ever hear about that??? Or am I the only one???

crazypink

Asked by crazypink at 10:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes its called an external version. They give mom a muscle relaxer, monitor the babies heart rate and forcibly turn the baby from the outside. It is very painful and there is a big risk that the baby will go into distress causing a c/s. There is no reason for it, as most breech babies can be delivered just fine.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i've heard it, and heard its pretty painful. mine was face up instead of face down, so i was having to roll from side to side for the last hour or 2 of labor to get DS to roll over. i was having pretty bad back labor bc of his position.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i have heard of it there are several ways they can do it, google it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• ive heard of it also
    2.tyme.mom-2-be

Answer by 2.tyme.mom-2-be at 10:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• yes ive also heard of it
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yeah my they tried that with my SIL
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I asked all my friends back then and they never heard of it... Just thought about it again when I saw all the questions.
    I was so scared back then that I told my baby all day long to turn around! She turned around 3 days before my appointment... lucky me!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 10:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yes, I was told that they *can* do versions, but they felt that delivering a breech-positioned baby would be completely fine, so not to bother. They also had many other more successful suggestions that I could try if it came down to it. ...It did & they worked, no problem, pain, risk! ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2009