First flight at 8 months

My daughter, husband and I are going up north next month. We have a 3 hour flight and I'm afraid she'll be screaming the entire time. Any suggestions to help her with the pressure? Some people have told me to give her liquid benadryl and even chloral hydrate. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, help!

msfila1980

Asked by msfila1980 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give a bottle or paci during take off and landing. Be prepared with toys,comfort items,snacks, bottles, etc. Make sure that they bottles are ok for stupid airport rules though, otherwise they can and will take them away.
    My dd's first flight was when she was three months old and we were on several different flights during our trip and she never cried. She also learned how to steal applesauce which kept her very entertained.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 11:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• we flew 2 hours when my son was 10 months old and i was nervous just like you but he ended up being wonderful! i thought he would be screaming to crawl the aisle the entire time but he actually slept a lot and the rest of the time sat quietly. i nursed him some which probably helped, but mostly he acted well all by himself. good luck!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My daughter had her first flight with 6 months. I was breastfeeding her at starting and landing, on the way home she wasn't hungry so I gave her a pacifier.
    She did not scream at all.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 10:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• If you can get a night flight or feed him so he's nice a full I think he should be fine just bring his favorite toys and books and a blankie.

If you don't mind me asking where up north are you going? I live up north.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• my daughter was 9months on her first flight. and she slept 3 out 4 rides. i was so nervious and worried bcuz one it was the first time for me to ever fly and two bcuz ive heard so many stories of babies throwin fits. and when she slept the first ride all the way thru i was relieved. and on the ride where she stayed up most of the time (2.5hrs)..she was fine. she was "flirting" with the man that sat behind us playing "peek-a-boo". but other than that your baby should be fine. although there was a baby who did throw a fit...just make sure you have a bottle or pacifier ready just in case baby decides to throw a fit.
    AHall08

Answer by AHall08 at 2:14 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• We're going to Humarock and Wellfleet
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 8:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2009