6 week check up

should i expect an actual exam at my postpartum appointment? i had a pap when I went for my first prenatal appointment, so I shouldn't need one of those yet. I absolutely hate getting "checked" and all that.. so i'm just trying to prepare myself. lol. also, should I bring my baby, or maybe have a family member watch her for a bit? thanks!

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 10:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at mine they didnt check me, just asked how i was feeling. will prob check you out if there's been any unusual pains, things like that. i brought my baby, just so my midwife and the nurses could see him. depending on your doctor, some like to see their handiwork haha.....if its just too much work, then ask someone to watch baby.....he/she will prob just sleep anyway lol
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• They did a pap at my 1st appointment ( I had just had one done about 7 months before that) then I had another one done at my 6 week postpartum checkup. I think the one they do at the 1st prenatal is not a regular pap. My doctor wanted us to bring the baby. He said he enjoys seeing tham after all the covered in goo is gone and they are putting on weight and loss all the water weight they had before. I would bring your baby. My doctor likes seeing them and some of my friends' doctors felt the same way.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• The "it's ok to have sex again" appointment! You feel so darn sexy after getting explored by a doctor. My OB/GYN did push on my abdomen and ask how i was feeling. I had stiches with my first birth and so was checked for proper healing. Nothing fancy.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 10:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I don't know if you get checked or not, I had a c section without labor so all he did was check my incision to see how it was healing. I didn't take my baby to that one, but both my DH and baby came to the 2 week check up. I would take the baby if you have someone that can go with you. If the baby is fussy, your doctor shouldn't have to wait around for you to calm the baby down. Someone should be there to take care of the baby while you are being examined and talked with.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 11:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i had my mirena put in so i got checked. and he also checked for pain and made sure my uterus fully contracted back..i didnt bring my daughter tho bcuz i was gonna be by myself..but they sure did asked about her. so if you dont feel comfortable taking baby with you by urself then have someone go with you.
    AHall08

Answer by AHall08 at 2:05 AM on Aug. 11, 2009