My Baby is 22 pounds, but only 10 months, can he go forward facing yet?

My son weighs 22 pounds and he will be 10 months on Sunday! We live in Phoenix where it is hotter than HELL! Can I face him forward just so he can get some air and be cool! Its getting to where he HATES the carseat bc its always freakin hot! Its not bad when Im parked at the house and have shaded covering but when I go out to WalMart just for a little while, putting him in is HORRIBLE! I think he would like it better bc he could get air and see me! Anyone put their child facing forward? Would he be ok if we were in an accident? HELP!

DarthPink

Asked by DarthPink at 10:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sorry, no. The law is 20 lbs AND 1 year old.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Besides what beckcorc said it is MUCH safer to keep your child rear facing until they reach their car seat's max rear facing weight limit.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• if he's still in the bucket carrier, you need to check the weight limit. rear facing is safer regardless of weight until 1yr.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 10:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I don't think its a great idea. I see where you are coming from though it is hot. Try a shade when you have the car parked in sunny/hot places? That might work.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• PP is right...it needs to be BOTH. Their little necks aren't strong enough yet.....maybe one of those little fans that hook onto things might help??? Just keep it out of reach....also one of those mirrors so you can see each other?
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My daughter is 18 months and still rear facing, its alot safer on the child to stay rear as long as possible. BUT if you do want to face him forward, it is 20 lbs AND 1 year.. that is just the bare minimum
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 10:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• AAA requires that all babys up to one year face rearwards and the weight. Some states are now trying to pass a law that will change that to two years requiring larger rearfacing seats. the longer you face your little one rearward the better (for neck safety). Law requires ( in Illinois) that the child is not forward facing until after one year old and 20lbs (BOTH)
    mtk35

Answer by mtk35 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Your child HAS to rear face to 1 year AND 20 lbs it's the law (even if the law doesn't spell it out they all have proper usage laws)
    The minimum recomendation by the AAP is 2 years... before then it's very unsafe.
    To get the air to your child... face the air vents to the top of the car and BLAST them. You can bring along cool wash clothes to put on you baby, bring something to cover the seat (like those window shields) to keep the sun off of it when you are in a store or whatever.
    Please keep you baby rear facing as long as possible... put your child's safety first.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I agree with AmiJanell.
    littlemama810

Answer by littlemama810 at 12:51 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I can definitely understand wanting to make your baby more comfortable. However - the legal minimum is there for a reason (1 year AND 20 lbs) and the AAP just put out a statement saying that children should be rear-facing for even longer. The short version is this: in the event of a car accident (even a small one) a rear-facing seat holds baby more safely than a forward facing seat. Children who forward face are more likely to have neck injuries and possibly even die from the impact.

There is a great group on here - Car Seat Safety - where you could connect with other Moms who are interested in helping solve problems like this while still keeping baby safe. You'll probably hear from tons of Moms who forward face their child because it "feels right to them" and so far their baby "is just fine." Crash tests show beyond dispute that forward facing is MORE DANGEROUS for babies.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 1:23 AM on Aug. 11, 2009