Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Passport question...

I'm going out of the country for Christmas and I don't know what all I need to do for a passport. I've gone online to and I know what all the charges are but I don't know if I should get a book or just the card. Any help would help! Thanks!


Asked by TheJBug at 10:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Travel

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • I don't know where you are going but according to the U.S. Dept of State for travel (, you can only use the passport card for travel entering "the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Note that it cannot be used for international air travel. The passport card is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book."

    Here's the link for First-Time applicants:

    Answer by AneesasMom at 10:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

  • go to the passport site. That will tell you what you need but do it now, it takes a lot of time.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2009


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

  • Be sure to check where you're going regarding their passport requirement, too. Some countries require that the passport have been active for a minimum period of time-- some 3 months, some 6 months, some don't care. so double check!

    Answer by Busimommi at 11:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

  • we did passports in January and the turn around time was super fast. We applied on a thurs morning and had passports in hand by Tuesday and monday was a holliday.

    If you live in an area where you will often travel to canada or mexico by land you can get a card on top of the book for an additonal fee other wise you should get the book since you are required to have to book for any air travel

    Answer by mtnaspen at 1:35 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • The first thing you need is a certified copy of your birth certificate. Then you will need the pictures that meet their specifications. If you are getting passports for your children both parents must be present or have the additional paperwork required. You can find all the information you need at the link above. I suggest the passport book since the card is so limited.

    Answer by Keksie at 12:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2009