sleep all night in the crib no feeding

my little girl is entering her 4th month of age. She is breastfeeding and is health no colic and a good weight. My ped. told me that she doesnt need the 230am feeding and should be able to for the most part sleep throught the night with maybe a wake up or two but no big thing. I hear that it takes 3 days to break a habbit. So here goes with night one. Wish me luck. I am very patient and good with no sleep so It wont bother me what I have to do to get her on the right track. I give her a bath, walk a little until she is groggy then I swaddle her and lay her on her back with a towel for "tilt" the night light is dim and there is a fan on in the hallway for white noise (for hubby too :)). Any advice would be helpfull. Thank you all in advance.

mtk35

Asked by mtk35 at 10:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All I can say is good luck, my daughter is 18 months old and still wakes up at night. Not necessarily for eating anymore, but for comfort.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 11:23 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Good luck with that. BTW your pedi is wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• If she wants to eat, she wants to eat. Now, the difference is being aware of whether she is waking up to eat, or if she is stirring because she needs to move or whatever. If she wakes up and doesn't calm down after a couple minutes, try rocking OR have you hubby rock her because if you do it she will want to nurse.
    For the most part after two months, neither of my kids woke during the night for a feeding. 11p-5a. But that was just them.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 11:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• If you don't mind not getting a lot of sleep, why stop what she is used to right now? Breast fed babies digest the milk quickly and naturally get hungry at night. I've slept with 3 of my kiddos, and it was easier for me to roll over and feed them and be able to drift back off all cuddly and cozy. I had a hard time when I tried to do everything "right." Your before bed routine sounds pleasant, oh, and we have fans everywhere for the noise just so people can sleep in this house! Otherwise, I don't think anyone would ever sleep. ;) They grow out of needing you at night eventually. My big kids all sleep on their own now great, little guy still sleeps with me though. Getting choppy writing, I guess that means bedtime for me as well! Goodnight, good luck with whatever you all do!
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 11:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• The best advice I can give would be to be open to the possibility that your baby might not be ready to drop that feeding. She could very well be fine without it - but if she really puts up a big fight - especially at only 4 months, it could be a sign that she's not ready. Pediatricians can be super helpful, but they aren't the expert on YOUR baby.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 1:25 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Ped is DEAD wrong. DEAD wrong. Way too early to expect this.

Feed on demand lasts forever in breastfeeding. And sleeping through the night is a mere five hours.

Even cry it out advocates say four months is too early. Six months SOONEST.

Sorry.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• 4 months is WAY too young to cut out the feedings...my DD will be 1 year in a couple weeks and she still nurses a few times a night....and YES she's hungry....I wouldn't do this at all at this age.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:46 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• you know your baby better than anyone. Watch her cues for when she is really hungry. She might be waking at that time b/c she is used to waking at that time. Try soothing b4 feeding. If she goes back to sleep w/o eating then she is prob ready. But just continue this if it didn't work the first night. It took my son about 2 weeks to cut the nightly feeding when I began to work on him around 4 1/2 months. By 5 months he was sleeping through the night. :) Good luck
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 9:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My breastfed baby slept through the night - and I mean really through the night, not this 5 hour crap - 11pm-7am at 3 months, and he started later than my other 3 kids. Don't let anyone tell you that a breastfed baby can't sleep through the night that young.
    That being said, I wasn't into the whole breastfeed on demand thing either. I had my kids on a predictable schedule and they knew what to expect when and reacted accordingly. The best book I ever read was "Babywise: Giving Your Child the Gift of Nighttime Sleep." It worked great for my kids, but all kids are different and you should do what works for your family and your baby.

Answer by missanc at 9:25 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• There is no set age for when a child doesn't need to eat at night. Your baby uses it for a number of reason ranging from hunger, to being thirsty, to comfort. My DS was given breastmilk for the first 6 months of life and then formula (he still drinks formula)..it wasn't until he was 10 months old that he was ready to sleep a full night (8pm-5am) consistently. My DS turns 1 tomorrow. Good luck in whatever you decide is best for your baby.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 9:56 AM on Aug. 11, 2009