Which freezes faster hot water or cold water?

we have tried to figure it out ourselves but always forget about it then they are both frozen and we dont know which froze first.... do any of you know?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 11:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• seriously?!?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• also we have heard that hot water freezes faster than cold by many people... if your going to be rude dont answer please
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 11:23 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Without googling it, I would assume that cold water freezes faster because the temperature is just that much closer to freezing then hot water. Hot water would take longer to reach freezing temperature.
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 11:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• http://www.ask.com/bar?q=does+hot+or+cold+water+freeze+faster&page=1&qsrc=178&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmath.ucr.edu%2Fhome%2Fbaez%2Fphysics%2FGeneral%2Fhot_water.html

According to the - hot water CAN freeze faster than cold...
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 11:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• hot water freezes faster because the molucules are moving faster. i rememebr this from high school science and that was 3.5 decades ago
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• The Mpemba Effect is a special phenomenon where hot water freezes faster than cold water. The discovery of this effect was made by a high school student named Mpemba in Tanzania, Africa in 1969. He noticed this phenomenon while making ice cream and was curious enough to make note of it. His teachers did not believe it was possible, and it took several years until university professors finally accepted his discovery. If hot water is placed in the freezer in a small container that is a good conductor of heat (or cold), the warmth of the container can melt any frost that collects on its surface. This includes the ice on the bottom surface. When this ice refreezes, it creates a good connection between the container and the surface, allowing much better conduction of cold than a container of cold water that has frost on its surface, including its bottom. As a result, heat is drawn out of the warmer container more rapidly than the
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• one with the cold water in it.
    AprilDJC

• at first i thought this was a joke but it got me thinking... this was a very informative question. thanks!
    jmetz4

Answer by jmetz4 at 11:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• OMG! I never knew that and it sure wasn't taught in my high school science class,lol. That was 22 years ago.
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 12:00 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I thought I heard that the top "layer" freezes more quickly but overall the cold water will freeze faster. I'll have to look this up!
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2009