Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He wants joint legal custody- why???

I am getting ready to move out of state with my 12 month old, for a job opportunity. His father isn't very involved in his life, and so had no problem with me making the move with our son. However, he wants to share legal custody. Do I have a choice in this matter? I just don't to have to "ask permission" everytime I make a decision for our son-for example, what school he'll attend, etc. Will him having joint custody limit my ability to raise our son the way I see fit (since I've been raising him on my own since he was born practically)?

He signed an acknowlegement of paternity at the hospital and is on the birth certificate. But I've been functioning as a single mom since the baby was a month old (when my ex left me to do his own thing).


Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • My ex wasn't very invovled with our son since birth. All the decisions were up to me. DO NOT agree to joint custody. You will have to call him about schools, field trips, even which church. He would have a right to which ones your son would go to. Unless he is involved completely, DONT.

    Answer by blondy2k5 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • OP

    Nope. He's not required to pay child support, because he's on ssi. He also doesn't qualify for a child's benefit because he doesn't get enough ssi to qualify for that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

  • He probably is trying to find a way to not pay child support. If you can prove that you have been a single mom all this time, then I doubt the court will grant him joint custody. Good luck!

    Answer by MrsJacqueline at 11:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

  • You two already have joint legal custody because you both are the child's legal parents unless some other custody has been arranged. Call legal aid and see what your options are for going after legal and physical custody.


    Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

  • I for one would not give him joint custody, but you need to get legal custody for yourself because just because you gave birth to him and have physical custody you actually don't have legal custody, the dad could take him from you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • rather you want to or not its up to you.. but you dont always have to ask before you do something.

    Answer by sharisse at 12:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • Poor kid has a mom who is self centered and a dad who is a deadbeat.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • Depends on where u live. In ga as long as u weren't married he has no rights whether he is on the bc or not. Check state laws.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 2:24 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • anon 12:36, and YOUR poor kid has a mom who is a fricktard.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • from what i've seen, unless u think he's actually going to get an attorney, if u leave the state, there's nothing he can do. I had joint custody w/my ex and he went 2000 mi away w/our son. I found him a year later and the police couldn't do anything about it. he was recognized as sole custody and eventually lost custody of him. i wasn't notified-his parents got him. Point is- if he doesn't have money for an attorney, u can do what u want. legal aide and child services will not get involved

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2009