Have you lost your job or know someone who has?

I was just wondering how many people have lost jobs and what area you are in. I know this economy has effected everyone across the U.S. but was just wondering if some areas are hit worse than others.

I live in northern MS and I was laid off last Nov. and my husband has been out of work since March. The jobs around here just don't really exist anymore. Simple jobs that used to have minimum requirements are now requiring Master Degrees and MANY years experience. It's like the employers know they have the upper hand with so many people being out of work and they are taking advantage of it.

Please reply with where you live and if you or someone your know are out of work and for how long and if it's looking good for new jobs soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gkpdoFQXok

Best Wishes,
Beth
http://4yourfamily.org/teamwork

4yourfamily

Asked by 4yourfamily at 11:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• I just lost my job last week in Management of a fast food chain. When min. wage went up they cut out jobs. My husband lost his job back in March. He was a Production Supervisor in the Auto Industry. We went from making $100,000 a year to unemployment. We live in Southern Indiana. However, I am not overly worried as we have enough saved in the bank to cover us for a few years. My hubby has not really put in any applications as of yet, after 30 years of working 60-70 hour weeks, it is nice to see him for a change.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Glad you have enough saved up for a while. Unfortunately many don't and I'm one of them.

I do know what you mean by it's nice to see him for a change. My hubby used to also work about 50 - 60 hours per week .... so we were really glad when he changed jobs and worked less .... but now he's out of that one.

Beth
    4yourfamily

Answer by 4yourfamily at 12:00 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I agree that many did not save enough in case of times like this. I am lucky, I know this, my hubby is very tight with money and this saved our tails.
    There are jobs here hiring but they are only the minimum wage jobs mainly. There were/are many things that my hubby wants to do while off of work. He finally has time to do repairs around the house and be a dad. I am almost glad he is out of work, I have a much better hubby and father to my son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• yes my hubby worked also in the auto industry for 5 yrs and got laid off in march but by the grace of god and praying he has a great job now making about 1700.00 a week. That is not bragging that is saying that praying helped us through this mess. He has a better job now then the one he got laid off from...God is good
    bubbaelea22

Answer by bubbaelea22 at 12:17 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I live in Clarksville, TN and I don't really know anybody who has lost their job. We were one of the few communities not really hit with economic crisis. We live in a mostly military town, they don't lay soldiers off and actually moved a new unit or whatever they call it. We bought our home last year and it went up in value.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:17 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My husband lost his job in March, but found a new job by June. It wasn't easy though and we know people here who were laid off for like a year. We live in NY. Things are looking up a little bit around here.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:48 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Luckily DH still has a job because he works with disabled people and they haven't been hit *yet* although they are on a very tight budget. But I can name about 10 people that I'm close with that have lost their jobs. Its insane. I can also name quite a few people that have lost their homes..... so sad. We live in Connecticut.

I've been looking for a part time job and the "help wanted" section of the news paper is practically not even there anymore, I remember when there used to be a few pages of adds to look through. Whats scary is that Connecticut it supposedly one of the least hard hit states as far as job loss. You are right though, employers are being really picky about who they hire because one job might get 100 applications when they used to only get like 10.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 8:01 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• It's interesting to see the difference between areas. The military (or any gov. job) is the best to be in now ... they won't lay off soldiers or other gov. positions .... LOL

I live in a small town but we're right next to Memphis, TN which is NOT small ... LOL. My last job was in Memphis which laid me off last Nov.

Our classified section in the paper almost doesn't exist either ... what used to be several pages is down to about a half page. SAD!!!!!!!!!!!

I mainly use Career Builders online site to search for jobs but ones I would have qualified for last year are now requiring more eduation and / or experience.

Luckily I do have some income coming in from my home business but it's nothing compared to 2 jobs .... yet!!!! :)

Good Luck to everyone who is struggling right now!!!

Beth

http://4yourfamily.org/teamwork

4yourfamily

Answer by 4yourfamily at 9:13 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I can't believe this is all the responses .... I know more people than this lost jobs.

Come on, let's hear from you.

Beth

4yourfamily

Answer by 4yourfamily at 12:50 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Not everyone experiences an all out job loss, but everyone is feeling the squeeze. We live in mid state Pennsylvania. State workers are finally getting paid after weeks without. They haven't gotten a COLA in years. I know five. Tyco laid off tons of people again recently. I know one. Hershey is cutting back. I know a man pressured to take early retirement. Construction is really down. That impacts two people I know. A fellow at Amazon was fired because he couldn't produce in 40 hours what normally takes over 50. His job had been consolodated. A small business owner closed down one of two shops, because traffic dropped. Car dealerships closed. I know one mom without work. Jobs for college kids were hard to come by. Those that got them are part time. Even nurses are having difficulty getting hours. And we have four major hospitals in the area.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 6:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2009