Resume-Help please!

I do apologize I wasn't sure where to post this question. I'm trying to work on my resume and I need help...

I volunteered for a local school for about 5 months. I worked one on one with children,I filed documents/homework,clean, help with lunch room duties, and more. I'm just not sure how to word it on a piece of paper. I know it sounds crazy but everytime I think about actually typing it all out I draw a huge blank. I need help!!!

I know what the rest of my resume should look like I'm just having issues with this part. Where should I even place this info? argh I'm so confused. No bashing pls. I really need help since I'm trying to get a better job.

Thank You

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• OK- a few things to keep in mind with a resume- ESPECIALLY now...think of the Cold, Tired and Hungry test- whoever is looking at your resume probably has a STACk of them- they are tired from a long day, probably hungry and maybe even cold (basically not comfortable) SO they are trying to ELIMINATE resumes, not find the great ones- and how do they eliminate?? anything that is over 2 pages is too much info to read (remember they are hungry) PLUS 2 pages is probably a sign of a LOT of job history- (not good)
    After putting your work history (make sure to use the word WORK) Put Other activities or Volunteer Information- then type in the short one sentance way you did above- it is short, and to the point..BUT only put it on the resume if it is valid to the job you are applying for...

Hope that helps!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I do career and job search coaching and have many years of HR experience.

Vounteer work can be just as important as paid work, especially if you used skills that are relevant to the position that you are seeking (you will probably have several different versions of your resume).

If you have been a stay-at-home mom, you also have used skills that employers value. These skills include time management, logistics, budgeting, etc.

Your cover letters should be customized for each position, letting a specific hiring manager how great you will be for a specific position.

If you have any questions at all, please contact me offlist. I am always happy to help cafemoms (and dads) with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview prep.

Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 4:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2009