My 4 yr old colored his whole carpet with black permanent marker! OMG! Does anyone know how to get it out of light colored carpet??? And also, what kind of corrective action so that he will NEVER do this again???? Need help please!

angelmotherof3

Asked by angelmotherof3 at 1:09 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• acetone aka polish remover. and have him sit on his hand for 10 minutes, it's a good reminder that if you are sitting on them you can't get into trouble!
    NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Answer by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 1:12 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• nah that didnt work for me i ended up bleaching the stains and then buying dye to redye where the beach had been.. then washed the carpet 3 or 4 times.. thats just what i did.. and i made my 2 year old throw all his markers ect in the trash can... also didnt get his toys for 2 days.. he had one toy in his bedroom for 2 days cause i was gonna make sure it didnt happen again
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• He should definitely do as much as possible in the clean up process, and let him know how very disappointed you are that he can not take care of his things. Then you take away his toys for tomorrow, and tell him that once you get the stain up and he learns to respect his things he can have them back. Seems tough on a 4 year old, but it will work and he will learn from it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:30 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Try alcohol. If that doesn't work try acetone ( although it may removed some of the pigment ) Goo Gone removed a sharpie for me from a comforter and wall. Yes, My daughter did the same thing when she was 3. As for them not doing it again. Have them watch you as you work to get it out. Kids that age don't really realize or understand permanent ink. I bought my daughter a dry erase board/chalk board and told her all other pens, markers were off limits.

CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 1:30 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Make him do it. I don't know if nail polish remover will work. Try it on a small spot. If it doesn't work, try rubbing alcohol. My oldest wrote on a dress that my youngest was wearing. I took it off of her, and looked up online how to get ink out of a dress. They suggested rubbing alcohol, and it worked. I was really surprised! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Don't leave permanent markers where your kids can get at them.... you are just asking for trouble!!!! Don't let him get near any harsh chemicals that might burn his eyes or cause breathing troubles... ie: acetone aka polish remover, alcohol, Goo Gone. If you have to use those suck it up and do it like the Mom should!!!

My daughter wrote on the walls in crayon when she was around 2.5... I made her help clean it but since it was WASABLE crayon all we need was a baby wipe!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• my friends grandmother uses windex on her carpet stains. well i put mine in time out and that didn''t work. um i started taking their toys away and it worked like a charm. sorry kids do funny things.
    Ashlee0323

Answer by Ashlee0323 at 3:29 AM on Aug. 11, 2009