Used crib~(also in shopping)

I'm getting one, but I'm not sure if I should keep the mattress or not. Its been used with 2 babies so far. My bf says keep the mattress and spray it down with Lysol if I'm that worried... but thats not really easing my mind enough. It would save a lot of money but the health of my baby is more important...
So I'm asking mommies... Should I keep the mattress or buy a new one?

youngfirsttimer

Asked by youngfirsttimer at 1:15 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wow its gonna have sheets on it.. as long as its in okay condition.. why not,, both my kids had handme down cribs and mattresses
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 1:17 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I got a used crib from my SIL and bought a new mattress. I am one of those who would never use a used mattress for myself so i wouldnt have my kid use on either. You can find new crib mattresses at very good prices if you keep an eye open for the sales. If you want to buy a new mattress thats your choice and there is nothing wrong with it.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:20 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I would for sure get a new matress for sure. That is one thing I would never use used.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Thanks guys, I was looking into mattresses but am also confused on whether or not to buy brand name or not.. walmart has a mattress for 40 dollars but the others are 80 and over, not sure why and if there really is a difference in quality.. Ugh.. so new to this!
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 1:47 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• How well do you know the person you're getting it from? If it was from family or close friends I'd probably wipe it down with Lysol and use it but if it was off of craigslist or something I think I'd prefer a new one..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I would get a new mattress simply because after 2 kids it is probably pretty worn out. I got the Wal-Mart mattress and my kids are just fine with it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:20 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I got a used crib too and a used mattress but i threw out the used mattress and got a new one you can get a mattress at walmart pretty cheap
    angelicab4l

Answer by angelicab4l at 11:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2009