Coming back from maturnity leave

before i got hired at my job our agreement was to go to day shift and full time, and right before i left for my leave i wasnt on day shift but i was full time and about 3 wks before i went back to work i asked them about our agreement and they confirmed i would be going to days and stay full time well come to find out im only working 4 days this pay period and i have been trying to get ahold of the owner of the company because no one else is giving me answers well the owner has not been ansering my phone calls i even show up to the job and no bosses are there. i have already applied for unemployment and a new job but even if i get this new job im screwed with bills because there wont be no money on my check like i planned it would be when i left she i tell them im going to find an laywer? what should i do, my husband and i are starving so than we can keep our apartment and i dont think my old job gets that

RIP.Caleb

Asked by RIP.Caleb at 1:23 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• You don't have to have your original job back so you have no case. Also, if you don't work for a month you could have to repay the benefits you paid out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i didnt get paid for my leave....
    RIP.Caleb

Answer by RIP.Caleb at 1:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• If they paid out benefits (meaning medical)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Did you have anything in writing? If not, not worth a lawyer.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:33 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Another thought is that with the way the economy is, they may have had to cut back shifts. Their thinking may be that ALL of their employees need a job, so instead of laying people off, they are just cutting back everyone's hours. I know that my husband has had to do this, he was told he had to get rid of 80 payroll hours, or two full time people. He opted for just cutting everyone's hours so they all still had jobs.
    If you don't have it it writing that they promised you things, you don't have a leg to stand on as far as fighting for what you want. If you are unhappy with what you have, look for another job, but stay at the old one until you have secured the new one. Don't quit either or you won't be able to collect unemployment.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:21 AM on Aug. 11, 2009