How can you be sure?! Which is it???

I'm almost 6 months pregnant. I can just be sitting around and all of a sudden I feel a slight trickle. It worries me that I might be leaking fluid instead of it being from a full bladder. How do i know for sure?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Amniotic fluid smells kind of sweet, but aside from going to L&D and having them test there's no 100% way of knowing. I thought my water had broken while I was in labour and they tested (it was early in labour and we would have had to make sure I didn't take too long if it had been my water breaking) but it wasn't amniotic fluid, something else, urine or discharge or something.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:54 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Could be discharge. Happens in pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I just had a visit to the ER saturday because I thought i was leaking fluid. I also did that on my first baby and had to deliver 5 weeks early. But they have what they call pH paper to test to see if it is fluid... Thankfully I was not leaking fluid,, just urine.(gross) lol! It happens! Go have them to check to be on the safe side, and they might also do a ultrasound to take a look at your fluid. GL
    momma2hunter

Answer by momma2hunter at 2:02 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Often times, the baby's movement presses into the bladder and mom will leak pee. No big deal, it's pretty common.
    If you think it could be amniotic fluid examine it's color and odor. And is it continuing to drip-gush? If so, how quickly do you soak a maxi pad?

Are you close to your due date? Is baby head-down and engaged in the pelvis?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:30 AM on Aug. 11, 2009