dialating

i am 37 weeks and at 36 weeks my dr said i was 2 cm dialated and 70% effaced. within the last 3 days or so ive been having alot of lower dull back pain and painful contractions but my stomach wasnt really hard.... when do you think ill actually go into labor? btw im 20 yrs old and this is my 1st baby. Thanks

avigrl88

Asked by avigrl88 at 2:10 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Seriously, you'll probably go into labor some time within the next 5 weeks, but it could be longer. Your warming up and that is great~ and normal. Or you could have your baby tomorrow... ;-) There is really no sure way to know. And getting your cervix checked is really not useful, it will not tell you when you'll start labor. (It introduces bacteria and infiltrates your confidence.) Try to ignore the dilating info stuff so you can relax (which helps to encourage your body & hormones to truly progress).

This is a very special time~ do what you can to enjoy it! ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:27 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• im sorry but its DILATING.. not DIALating.. like your cervix is dialing a number...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• k anon. Get a life. Anyways, I was dilated 3cm at about 37 weeks and he induced me. Are you planning on sticking out? Or asking for a little help? You could go in one week and not be at all and the next be at 5cm, so I wouldn't stress over it. There is no planning. Just try everything possible to keep busy and your mind off things and it'll come.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:43 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• uhhgh. I see my typos up there and just say ahh, forget it! lol!

I just thought of something-- because you'd mentioned it is your first, I wanted to add something more.

The average length of pregnancy is 38-42 weeks (40 is the mid-point average), but a first-time mom averages an additional 8 days (=41 weeks, 1 day).
    When you "expect" to go to 41 weeks it can help you to settle in and start working with the warm-up stuff, as practice. You have more time to see how the body (tends to) ramp up gradually.
    So you might try to start finding ways to cope with the discomfort, the practice can be very helpful! :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:50 AM on Aug. 11, 2009