2yr old & bowel movements.anyone had this problem???

ok, my 2yr old doesn't do it when he needs to, instead he continues to play, until its at the point where he cries because it hurts so bad when it comes out, (dont mean to be gross)..SO i bought him enemas to get it out, because he got to the point where he is constipated, and i know its not good to hold it in, so i did one on him and he STILL tried to hold it in after it was forcing it self out..after that, i cleaned him and there was a light pink dot of blood on the toilet paper, i know this is from him straining so hard. What can i do to help it ease him and not be so rough? he has like hard balls from holding it in, idk if that makes sense to anybody but i need help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would make sure he is eating enough fiber and veggies to keep it from being so hard. You can also try to children's suppositories.

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 2:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I had the problem with my son. He would go 5 or 6 days inbetween bowel movements. I finally had to threaten him with suppositories, which he did NOT want any part of. This made him start to go more often. He still does not go everyday, but he does not hold it quite so long. Since you have done the enema thing, hos obviously has no fear of medicinal intervention in that area of his body so I would try putting him on the pot everyday around the same time and have him sit there for a good period of time. Coax him to try and go and let him know that if he goes his tummy will feel better and that if he goes everyday it wont hurt so much to do it.
    NotATypicalMum

Answer by NotATypicalMum at 2:24 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• he hates the enema! so i tell him im going to put it if he doesn't do it, so he pretends he is pushin..but nothin..and i have told him that it will make him feel much better...but he rather just hold it..and i don't want him to be afraid of it coming out...i know it hurts him but i also know its not good to keep it in..he does eat veggies more than he eats meat and junk food..but he doesn't like to drink water...could that be a problem??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• When my son is constipated I give him a glass of apple juice and he goes, and what else helps is when he eats grapes that makes his poops really soft, good luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• he may hold it in becaue it hurt to began with, talk to his pedi and ask about stool softeners, which will help make his poop softer. Apple juice is really good, you could even give him prune juice. Alot of grapes or cherries whill also help, even raisens
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 2:38 AM on Aug. 11, 2009