potty training a boy

I have tried to make him go potty on the toilet, but he doesn't do it..he will tell me he needs to go to the toilet, but instead we sit there for 2-5minutes and nothing..not even pee..so i put his diaper back on, and then he does it..i tried getting him to wear underware but instead he pees and then tells me after to change him cuz he made a mess..i know they will go or maybe he is too young, but i am expecting my 3rd and i don't wanna have 3 kids on pampers..he is 2yrs old and his brother just turned 1 in april, so im hopin if my 2yr old does it maybe his 1yr old will too...I need help. my sisters tell me to leave him naked ..but im not tryin to clean poop off the floor! and they both have girls, the only nephew i got is still in pampers...SO PLEASE ANY ADVICE?? i would like to get this done before boy#3 gets here in November..

priscilla2boys

Asked by priscilla2boys at 2:24 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You cant make this child potty train just because youre having another baby. Thats not fair to him. He isnt ready at ALL. Two yrs old is quite early for boys. Many boys will take to it very easily, but most are stubborn, hardheaded and do it when they are ready. I understand the expense of buying diapers for everyone but thats just how its going to have to be. If you keep pushing, he will keep resisting you and it will be harder than it had to be. Leave him alone for the next 2 months. Then try again. Make a sticker chart and offer m&m's or something good. Boys love incentives. You will find out how much he really can do. If he loses interest when the candy runs out, then you know hes capable, but not motivated. Wait again, or offer stickers for his chart. If hes still resisting you, then wait another 2 mos and try again. What I am basically saying is that if you will just wait until hes ready, there will be no fussing.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• It will just be done. I took the flack from my family who kept wondering why he wasnt trained at 3 and now hes 3 1/2 and I began by knowing that he knew what to do. He had watched dad and brother enough that I knew he knew. So then I began offering m&ms for going. 2 for peeing and 3 for pooping. He never got more than 2. Once the m&ms ran out, I thought he might regress because there wasnt any more incentives. We went a few days without any incentives and he still did it when I told him to go. At this point, he wasnt going on his own, but he did go when I prompted him. Also during this time, there were no diapers. Only underwear. I washed out 4 pairs of poopy underwear, but he never really peed in them. I left him with my MIL one day and I put him in underwear, thats the day he went and pooped in the potty without help from anyone. We found him in there. Its been great ever since. No accidents at all. He was ready.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:24 AM on Aug. 11, 2009