I think my son may have ADHD?

Ok so my 3 year old is displaying many of the common symptoms of ADHD but the doctors wont do anything because of his age they think he is just fine. I disagree he is very hyper even for his age and has problems following simple tasks like picking up a few toys he gets distracted very easily. I look at other kids his age and he is so different. I was looking into behavior modification and diet. I need some advice. Am I being t0 paranoid or could there be something there?

1babyboyandme

Asked by 1babyboyandme at 3:03 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Most doctors won't do anything for a child with adhd until they are of school age. But if your worried get a second opinion
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 3:10 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• A doctor worth his salt will tell you he's a bit young. HOWEVER, if you have serious concerns, then have him evaluated. You might get a "rule out" diagnosis. It's tough because ADHD behavior has to be in all settings, not just at home.

It is "easier" to diagnose once they are in school. But if the behavior is EXTREME they do give diagnoses at 3 years. (my son is "borderline" PDD-NOS and ADHD at age 5. We've been working with him for over a year now and should have a final decision this October after he's been in kindergarten. He currently has a "rule out" diagnosis.)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:21 AM on Aug. 11, 2009