Don't feel safe in my town

The job situation in my town is dismal at best. The job I have now, I don't feel safe in. Everything is in shoestring budget, so hopes for unemployment is nonexistent.

Is it possible (and forgivable) to divorce to look for a better job situation in another city (ex. leave Kansas City to look for a job in Atlanta), then there is no fault within the marriage?

P.S. I'm $70 grand in federal debt. This means no bankruptcy is allowed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• I'm confused - why would you have to divorce to do this? Couldn't you go together to look for work in another area, or, if you don't want to do that, have one of you stay behind and the other go look for work, then, when that person gets a job, have the other one come join them?

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:47 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• OP here,

no, that won't work. Reason why, all his friends and social network is here in this town (military and prison), so he won't leave this town. My job skills come from another galaxy. So if I lose my job, I cannot depend on my husband's network to save my life, let alone my husband.

Even though we love each other, our job situation takes presidence.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• You don't need to divorce to work in separate cities. I know several married people who have jobs far apart. They go home on weekends. What you're saying is that you're legally shacking up with this guy and it doesn't mean as much as a marriage, right. You're looking for an easy out.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Ummm...this question makes no sense. Just admitt that you want out of the marriage. It has nothing to do with work. And how the hell can you be $70 grand in federal debt?? The Gov would take everything you had if that was the case!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• OPhere,

No, I'm not looking for an easy way out. I've had friend who were separated by this. One was based in Ft. Irwin, CA, where the husband got a job in Atlanta, GA. Yes, they're divorced. No fault within the marriage.

Yes, a person can be in federal debt by by $70 thousand by FAFSA and grad school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2009