question for moms who vaccinate their kids

I saw a lady say that she doesn't let her kids play with other kids who have not been vaccinated. I am wondering if you would let your kids play with a child you knew didn't have thier vaccines, and if you dont why not? What are you worried about? You don't need to worry about your kids catching anything because they are protected by the vaccine right? That's the whole point right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Health

• I vaccinate, but i am not going to care who my child plays with. Not to mention, once a child starts school how can you tell if your child is playing with another child who hasn't been vaccinated. Kids are going to get sick no matter who they play with. Its not like you can ask every parent in you childs class if they vaccinated there child.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 7:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Not trying to hijack your post or anything, but can I take this one step further and say, Do you ask which vaccinations they need? I file an exemption at my childrens schools, but that doesnt mean my kids are completely unvaccinated. My son is only missing 1 chicken pox vaccine because I refused to give it and my daughter is only missing her 11 yr old boosters so I still have to file an exemption. So someone wouldnt allow their kids to play with mine because they are missing a chicken pox vaccine? That would be sily. Just sayin.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:40 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Well with my dd I have her fully vaccinated. I don't think you can pick and choose who your child is going to play with especially at school. I would be more worried about what the unvaccinated child is going to come down with since they aren't vaccinated. Beleive me I do think that all the unvaccinated kids are going 2 ruin the world and get horrible dieases and such. Never in all my life and it's been a kind of long life 1/2 over w/ already had I ever worried about anything until I came on here and found out that ppl don't vaccinate. Now instead of giving sympathy to the ones with sick kids I just want to ask them if they are vaccinated 1st to find out if it's b/c the parent chose not to vaccinate b/4 I get all sad that your child is sick. I feel it's your chose not to vaccinate but then don't ask for sympathy when your child is sick JMO. I don't mean that 2 sound ♥less cuz I'm not that way but you chose what U did 2 them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My kids are vaccinated (well, my teen dd hasn't had the gardasil shot, I'm not comfortable with the amount of research that has been done, my mil's cousin isn't able to have children b/c of meds her mom was given that were in relation to her - the mom's - reproductive system). They have also not had the varicella vaccination (the one for chicken pox), because they both have had chicken pox.

In fact, since we're a military family living overseas and we all had to get a whole host of "specialty shots", they are probably more vaccinated than 90% of the kids in the US.

I have at least 2 friends that come to mind that don't vaccinate. My kids play with theirs, and have for years. They have babysat for the younger ones, have had sleepovers with the older ones, and have even gone to camp together.

In short, I have no problem with it. What you choose to do for your children medically is your choice.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:03 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I will not choose who my child plays with but if it happens to be an unvaccinated child then so be it. We have done some vaccines but I don't think that I will finish them. We have done the research and have chosen such a route. I think that the children that get sick from the vaccines should have sympathy but they may not get the disease but something else that was in it. So I think that parents should think long and hard about the decision they are making.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• a vaccinated child can still be a carrier and transmit the virus to another child who is too young to be vaccinated or has not had all of the series of shots.
    a mom can decide who their child plays with for any reason they chose. chosing to not associate with an unvaccinated child to possibly protect in the future another younger unvaccinated child seems like a great reason to me.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:50 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Jewjewbee, are you saying that it would be good for the unvaccinated child not to play with the vaccinated child because the VACCINATED child could give the other child the disease?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My children are fully vaccinated teens at this stage. I do not, nor have I ever, had a problem with them playing with other children no matter their vaccination status.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Anon - If a child gets a live virus vaccine, such as the MMR or chicken pox, they are then a carrier...and can transmit the disease until the shedding period is over. I don't mind if my kids catch the measles or the chicken pox. Easily treated and life long, natural immunity. Woo-hoo!
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:08 AM on Aug. 13, 2009