what age does a child switch to a booster seat

cangetlonely

Asked by cangetlonely at 7:47 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Its actually more by weight and height, i'd talk with your pedi before changing to a booster seat.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 7:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I put my daughter in one when she was 3.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:52 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Its more about height and weight. When your child will no longer fit into their convertible carseat height wise and weighs over 40 lbs then you can put them into a booster WITH a harness. As far as a booster with just a seat belt or backless booster, I would wait until they are over 50 lbs. Three is way too young unless they are a big 3. My son is 3 1/2 and he is no where NEAR read to come out of his convertible carseat. It grows with him into a boooster, but hes a little guy anyway.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:55 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Children must be 4yrs AND 40lbs to ride in a booster seat. The lap portion should fit snugly across the upper thighs and not ride into the tummy. The shoulder portion should fit across the shoulder and chest and not ride up the neck or down the arm. The child should be able to bend their legs at the knee(comfortably) at the edge of the booster seat. The child must be mature enough for the booster seat(Most 4yr olds are not mature enough, and children should be harnessed to about 6yrs and 65lbs. At that age they are mature enough for a booster. The MINIMUM is 4yrs AND 40lbs). They need to sit upright and not slouch. They need to use the shoulder and lap belt together at all times(no putting the shoulder belt behind their back). They need to sit properly for the entire length of the trip.....
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 10:03 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• High back boosters may offer more SIP than no back boosters but if you do not have headrests in your car you MUST use a high back booster. If you do have headrests in your car you can use either kind. NEVER use a booster with just a lap belt. NEVER use a booster with a shield(these are all recalled or expired) Booster seats are twice as effective in reducing risk of injury when compared to seat belts alone.

~Sarah
    Certified Child Passenger Safety Tech. w/ SAFE KIDS in MD
    babyboomboom

• Ask your childs Dr to be sure. But i had my daughter in a booster seat when she turned 3. And now that my son is turning 3, i will have him in a booster seat as soon as his 3rd bday party is over! I really knew it was time for a booster seat with my daughter, when i noticed her head wasn't fully protected by her carseat anymore...her head was sticking up over the back of the carseat by about 3 inches or more. And my son is just so uncomfortable in his carseat.
    Ali-Rippy

Answer by Ali-Rippy at 11:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• One of mine has been in one since he was 4 and the other since he turned 3. They're doing very well in them and meet the height and weight requirements.

I've never seen ANYWHERE in my area that the minimum is 4 and 40lbs.

I know 6 year olds who are NOT mature enough for a booster, though.

The high back booster I do have REQUIRES a headrest...no headrest, it cannot be used.

Someone needs to watch the hasty generalizations.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I have never seen it 4 and 40 lbs either, is this a new requirement? My oldest was three when she was put in and she is very tall for her age... I think I have heard 40 inches and 40 lbs, maybe?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• A child lacks the maturity to properly sit in a booster seat until around age 5-6 years old. I have a 6 year old who is still harnessed. 3 is to young and to immature.
    MommyBoha

Answer by MommyBoha at 2:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I just bought one that was on clearance at Target. The box said for age 4 and up weight was 40-100lbs. My daughter isn't there yet so she is still in a convertible car seat.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2009